Chapter 6: Last to Know

The train's lights cut through the thick blanket of darkness, the droning of warning bells ringing out there your ears...but quickly numbing down to a noise your mind didn't bother to comprehend no matter how hard you tried to focus on it. And you focused...tried so hard to focus on something other than what you thought you heard...

'What about my sister?!'

And how defensive she had gotten so rapidly from the idea...it couldn't be real. Could it? You watched her stop breathing...you had watched the life drain out from her eyes. ...Could that...man...that thing was...could it...Could it be the reason she's alive again?

The thought of him made you feel uneasy, every time he crossed your mind for even a moment the cacophony of human screams that belted from those winged beasts pierced your ears again. And the way he just appeared and disappeared at will, willing the wretched creatures to do his bidding...the way they captured the death knells of painful ends...

Was he...death?

You've seen hundreds if not thousands of depictions, from skeletal reapers, to sickle wielding wolves, to worms that walk...never could you imagine it would be some kind of...

Man? Was that even a man?

"...I'm guessing you thought that Lou was dead...?" Tristan's voice broke the silence with uncanny clarity compared to her tick filled stammering. You jumped a bit when she spoke, nerves set on a hair trigger from carving up a man's guts.

"...Yes..." You close your eyes, setting your head back against the car's window.

"I thought so...y-you know...there's a d-death certificate in h-er name and everything...We checked when we saw her...J-Jessie needed to m-m-make sure that...it was real..." She looked over to you, though her mouth was still covered you could tell her expression was much softer around you than it was with the other two

You grimace, subconsciously trying to avoid the issue.

"...What would you do if we met her again?" She added, once again with sudden serenity in her voice.

You were going to meet her again, you'd make sure of that.

She realized that she wouldn't get a response from you, so quickly tried to get your attention. She swallowed, eyes glancing down at the console while her hand danced up to her mask...sheepishly pulling it down. "...Y..is that right?" she questioned.

"Right..." Your eyes part, scanning across her when they did. Without her mask she was a far cry from the orange eyed devil she had become when her persona was adapted...an illusion fully shattered when she let her forest green eyes free from the confines of her goggles. A deep cut from a dull blade had made a harsh scar from one of her cheekbones across her plump, pillowy lips, and something about it cut you deep as well. It was something akin to finding a queen's bed ripped to shreds, with everything else still intact, a place of respite torn to bits for no reason other than petty anger.

"...And I don't know.." you answer, averting your gaze quickly before you stared too long, she was like a chubbier, gentler Jessie, and something about that made you shiver with guilty indulgence. "...I spent all these years assuming Jessie and I was all that's left...and know I find out I wasn't the only one alive...I..."

"It's not your fault, man" She quickly shuts down, "You didn't know she was in there...d-don't...d-on't beat yourself up over n-not...carrying her out...or...I don't know what happened s-so I'm not going to act like I do b-but...Don't. Alright?" her hand goes to yours, and you quickly retreat before the warmness could set in.