ONE

June 6th 2012.

23:45pm.

"Cleo! Wake up! The house is on fire," I jumped up out of sleep hearing my older sister's voice's alert me that our home was on fire. I started panicking, my heart picked up a rapid speed; it felt like I could hear every single beat from my heart.

"Where's mum and dad?" I panicked, my eyes widen as I remembered that my son wasn't at his fathers tonight but was here also in our home. Our burning home. "Get to mum and dad . . . Isaiah. I need to get him out".

"ISAIAH!" I screamed as I ran out of my room into the flames of fire, I jumped back slightly. The smell of gas and petrol flew up my nose within the space of less than two minutes. I looked around, I saw Jennie, my sister run into my parents room, I sighed heavily as I quickly panicked, thinking of a way to get my son out. I couldn't think of none, my mind was plain blank all I could think of was; I needed to get my son. My forehead were dripping sweat from the temperature of the house, the heat of the fire. The palm of hands were sweating. Covering my face with my arm. I made a run for it. I ran through the fire, the closer I got to Isaiah the more I could hear his cries weakening my heart. I felt a strong grip onto my waist dragging me through the fire away from my baby boy. Reality hit me then. I was being dragged away from my son when I needed to protect him. That's what mothers do protect their babies. I needed to protect mines. I needed to do the job as a mother. I screamed and kicked but the person continued to save me. They had a firm grip onto me, they knew I would try and run back in there. But I needed to save my family. I didn't want to be saved. I needed to be with my baby.

"My son please! No! I need to save him! My sister, mum and dad's in there," I cried into the arms of a firefighter. I tried to push past him once more only for his grip onto my waist to tighten.

He was trying to save me. But I needed to save my family. My life was burning into ashes slowly in front of me and there was nothing I could do about it. Sirens could be heard from s mile away but I didn't care about them right now. I just needed my family out of the house safe. Neighbours had came out their house, watching mines burn down. They watched in awe. They didn't help. They didn't do anything. Not that there was much to do but these people called my parents their friends for over ten years and all they could do was stand and watch from their door? They didn't even check to make sure that I was alright, even though I wasn't. It was the thought that counted. They didn't care but then again why would they? Their house wasn't on fire. They weren't losing nothing. They had their home still. They had their family still.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO," I yelled, ears piercing yell. My knees weaken, I tried to maintain my balance but I lost it collapsing to my knees, my stomach felt like it had unwanted mixture in it, I felt sick. I needed to be sick. I stared ahead at my home. Destroyed home as it blew up into thousands of pieces in front of my teary eyes. Right before me, I witnessed my life shatter into thousands pieces. Thousands of grief. Thousand of problems.

Thousands of hope gone down the drain.

*

I jumped up out of my sleep. I could feel dryness on my face. I had been crying again in my sleep. I had one of those dreams again. Using my back hand of my left hand, I wiped the sweat away from my forehead. I sat up, leaning against my bed head as I stared into nothing but darkness that filled my room. Hugging, Isaiah's blue teddy bear closer to me, I sighed heavily. I've had this bear with me for three years, if I travelled the bear came with me too. It made me feel like I had some part of Isaiah left. This bear kept me sane through out the days. I couldn't see due to the darkness in my room but I could feel, the roughness from the teddy brushed against my cheek, letting me know that this bear was coming to a end. One of the arm was already gone, it had patches. Burn stained from the fire three years ago.