Returning to the Gaillardia

Two years later...

The large rental SUV roared down the gravel drive. Danny still could not believe he was here but when the passing of the huge hurricane, a Cat 3 was not followed by the smoke signal, Danny's heart lurch. The town was still without power, and the roads had just been cleared of water and debris. The sight of the town scared him. The coffee shop where Arny met Penny was gone and other buildings was destroyed. It would take years to recover for some. Others may cut their losses and leave.

He had learned from Arny that the house was sold by the cousin to someone else just months of taking it over. Danny wanted to be upset, but he still did not have the energy to be. He was still in the early stages of mourning Callie. Knowing her house was no longer in the family should have made him mad, but it was just a house then. As he drove on the old familiar road now, it was a keeper of best memories in his life.

The spot of pink against the blue water made him sped up. He did not know who buy the house, but he did not care. He had to know if it was still fully standing and that the new owners were okay. The chimes welcomed him back like an old friend.

Hannah pushed her long red braid from her shoulder as she heard the bells. Looking to the road, she saw a large SUV barreling towards the house. Her heart jumped for maybe it was her estranged fiancé coming back since this storm happen. Surely a man would care about his only child's wellbeing. As she could see the driver clearly, her head drop for it was not him.

"Hey, are you okay?" Danny asked concerned after getting out of the vehicle. On the front steps was a young woman, probably no older than him. Her hair was long and braided back her back. She was fair skinned with freckles across her nose. She was in jeans with a hole in the knee and an oversized t-shirt in light blue. Danny walked to her for she had not said a thing. He noticed her eyes, meadow field green, as well as the tired look and dark bags under them. She looked like she had been in war.

"I'm..." Hannah stared to say as the tears started to fall. She sat down and just sobbed. It had been a while since anyone asked if she was okay. Danny started to step to her until he heard a little voice called out 'mommy' from the house. A mini-her, maybe five years old, wearing a pink romper came out. The little girl eyed Danny as she sat with her mother. Hannah hugged the little girl, picking her up to sit in her lap.

"I'm so sorry. The hurricane came so quickly, and we were so scared. My...we have been alone here." Hannah finally said after she got her crying under control.

"We hid in the bathtub." The little girl volunteered.

"The big one with claw feet on the first floor." Danny asked. She nodded, looking at her mother. "I hid in there too when I first was here. It was a bad storm too." Danny sat at the bottom step. The little girl took a long look at Danny. She climbed out of her mother's lap.

"You are from the pictures!" She shouted, running back in the house.

"Pictures?" Danny wondered.

"We found a shoe box of pictures. Bridgette loves looking at them, making up little stories. I'm Hannah." She explained, using the end of her shirt to wipe her eyes. Brigette came out with a picture in her little hand. It was one of Callie and Danny, sitting on the front porch after he moved to the town.

"I thought I packed everything." Danny looked at the picture. A smile came across his face.

"Who is the pretty lady? You two look like you are in love." Bridgette said in a curious voice.

"That's Callie, my wife. She owned the bed and breakfast." Danny remembered, touching Callie in the photo.

"Where is she?" Bridgette asked, tilting her head. Hannah tried to hush her daughter, for she noticed how Danny was looking at the picture. The sadness in his eyes.