Story 12 : I think I had an encounter with a skinwalker

Written by : u/Personal-Pomelo8703

Year written : 2023

I am 25. I live in Utah and I'm curious if any of you have seen anything like this before. I'm pretty sure I saw a wendigo or a skinwalker. I know it sounds strange or crazy. I don't really believe in those things and I'm regularly sceptical when it comes to the paranormal.

This happened to me when I was 17 and in highschool and living with my parents. My house at the time was in a very small town, the backyard faced open empty fields and mountains for miles before you reached another civilization at all. My best friend lived next door and shared this field as our backyard in a way. I have to explain that his house sat was built on a different street that ended in the field with a small culdesac. I think there was supposed to be more houses built down this street to expand the town but they clearly never got around to it. So his driveway was basically in this culdesac even though no other houses were built there. This matters later in the story.

I used to stay the night at my friend's house a lot in highschool because I didn't have the best relationship with my parents. Every once in a while we would wake up to hear dragging and a weird gargling sound from the back porch. (His room was a basement room with the window well to the back porch.) It would happen maybe a couple times a month but whenever we would gather the courage to check. Nothing would be back there. This happened for years.

One night haunts my friend and I to this day. My friend was getting ready to move and we would stay up all night playing games and watching movies. We decided to go on a music drive to just vibe. So we hopped in his truck with high beams and swung out of the driveway turning them on towards the field to use the roundabout. The light illuminated this... Thing. It looked like a person but it wasn't. It was naked on all fours. Abnormally large, particularly it's limbs that seemed to fold under itself in an unnatural way. It's pale skin clung to it like it had to be stretched onto it. But the part that still sends shivers down my spine is it's face. It's jaw hung open to this gaping black maw, like a snake unhinging it's jaw to eat. It's black eyes glistened in the light as it looked at us. But just as it turned to see us, it quickly scurried backwards almost like it was on rewind into the brush of the field. My friend and I were pale as ghosts. We both looked at each other like "did you see that too?" We were shaken. Let's just say we tried to have a good rest of the night but we couldn't believe what we saw. We ended up just sitting there in his basement with guns ready and waiting to hear the gargling and dragging again, but we never did. Sorry that it's not very climactic but it's the truth.

I now don't live in that town anymore. There are times when I visit there though. That empty field still feels like it's watching and waiting. Even though I can't see it, I can still feel like it's out there.