Story 18 : Skinwalker? Please help identifying this experience.

Written by : u/MammothAffectionate6

Year written : 2023

Hi everyone.

My partner and I just got back from a long camping trip in Northern Arizona. Marble Canyon, Vermilion Cliffs, and finally in the Kaibab National Forest, where this encounter took place.

We were driving/off roading all day on the forest roads deep in the forest, near the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We were hunting hard for the perfect camping spot, and it was starting to get dark and my partner was getting frustrated. So, we told ourselves, "we'll go to the end of the next trail and camp there."

Unfortunately, where that trail ended was at an expansive burn scar - forest that was completely wiped out by fire last summer. Very few living trees remained standing. It was spooky, but we decided to make the best of the situation.

After getting camp set up and eating dinner, we were just hanging out by the fire. We started hearing some snapping branches in the woods and light up our flashlights. We see nothing. I grab my shotgun just in case. At this point, we're trying to be as quiet as possible, listening very intently to the woods. It was a clear night , but no moon. It was very dark beyond the reaches of the fire light.

Then we hear what sounds like a whisper of a woman. We're try so hard to make out the words, but it sounded foreign. Like another language.

It shortly thereafter grows to a crying sound. Then turns to wailing. Like someone in incredible pain. We were absolutely terrified at this point. The sound eventually stops and we started to feel very unwelcome and very cold.

We knew immediately this was a very strange paranormal experience, but not sure if this like a skinwalker or maybe just a ghost. What do you think?