Story 31 : The time I saw a skin walker

Written by : u/paulyanks

Year written : 2022

Alright so this was a pretty brief encounter albeit was terrifying. So this happened in my hometown in Santa Fe New Mexico, My uncle his girlfriend at the time(She is Native American, no prejudice it makes sense later) and I were on our way back from a casino an hour south of Santa Fe. We took this backroad on the outskirts of town we always took this route as it was the easiest way across town and home. My uncle is driving his girlfriend dead asleep in the back seat   and I’m riding shotgun.

We turn on this familiar road and drive a ways down it,as we go there are houses on our left and the desert on our right. I catch a glimpse of what looks like a humanoid hunched over with its arms extended to the ground almost as if it was on all fours kind of breeze across the road. It quickly ran into the desert but from that few seconds I could clearly see what appeared to be a mask made of fur on its face and two different sized antlers coming off the top. But what really struck me and still gives me the creeps till this day are the eyes I peered right into them and to this day I can’t explain the horror I looked into.

This all happened in a matter of seconds. I looked at my uncle and tried exclaiming what I had just seen. He says I looked pale and my eyes were full of fear. I finally get it out and tell him “I think I just saw a skinwalker.” As I’m saying those words the biggest owl either of us have ever seen with Snow White feathers flies next to my window and hoots at us then flies away.

His girlfriend is suddenly awake in the back seat and starts telling us about the correlation of skin walkers and how they morph into owls. She grew up on n the reservation so she is more versed in the lore of entities like this than we were. She told us other things as well but I don’t remember much. It was surreal and that encounter still gives me goosebumps to this day.