Chapter 27 part 2

Hunter didn't come to school the next day.

I waited next to my locker with Lia until the bell rang. Ignoring the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, I texted him and went to my first class. He didn't reply. Before getting into my second class, I called him.

It went to voice mail.

"Are you okay?" Jason asked. We had this class together.

I sat on the edge of my seat. My knee bounced. Another call went to voice mail. "Hunter's not answering his phone."

Jason frowned. "Maybe he overslept," he said with a yawn, his honey colored eyes watering. "You guys got home pretty late yesterday."

"Maybe," I mumbled to myself. Still. I felt slightly sick. I glanced up as more students trickled into the classroom.

Screw it.

I grabbed my backpack and jumped to my feet, pushing through the flow of incoming students.

"Sapph!"

Jason's call didn't even register to my ears. Fortunately, I had the car keys with me, so I went straight to the parking lot, hopped into our SUV and drove out. I knew where Hunter lived, we'd driven past it a few times when we were just driving through town, and he'd pointed it out.

With every mile closer to his place, the rock in my stomach grew heavier. And when I finally drove the car up the fancy circular driveway, I knew my anxiety hadn't been misplaced.

Hunter was standing behind his car, loading a box inside the open trunk, a suitcase next to him.

He glanced over his shoulder at the sound of my car engine and froze, surprise evident in his dark eyes.

I got out of the car, looking at the suitcase by his feet and the box in his car. My steps slowed to a halt.

"You're not answering your phone," I said, my heart beating in my throat. My hands shook. I clenched them close.

Hunter's jaw ticked, and he looked away.

"Hunter?" I took a step closer and glanced at the suitcase. "What's wrong? Where are you going?"

The front door of the monstrous white mansion opened right then, and Hunter's father stepped out. He was wearing a full black suit, his hair combed back and his eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Sapphire. I didn't know you'd be here," he said, walking until he stood at the top of the porch steps and looked at his son. "I thought you said you ended things with her."

Someone dragged the floor from beneath my feet. I shook my head, feeling disoriented, and looked at Hunter, waiting for him to tell his father he was full of shit.

He didn't.

Tucking his hands in his jean pockets, Hunter looked at me. His expression took me off guard. Gone was the warm darkness I'd grown used to over the past several months. Instead, a cold, calculative look took over his eyes.

"I didn't actually tell her. I didn't think I had to," he said. "But I guess it's a good thing you showed up now. I'm transferring schools, and we're done, you and me. It was nice while it lasted, I guess."

I took a step back. What...?

What was happening? Was I dreaming? Or was he joking? Yeah, he must be joking. A nervous chuckle slipped past my lips. "What are you talking about? Is this a joke?"

Hunter pursed his lips and turned his back to me, hefting his suitcase and dropping it in the trunk. "Go away, Sapphire. We're done."

His words cracked the fog of shock and sparked my anger. I strode towards him and shoved his back. "Look at me!"