Chapter 34

Hunter came down the stairs before I could throw a punch. I looked at him. Maybe I should punch him instead.

Hunter looked between the two of us as he stepped into the living room.

"Ava, what are you doing here?" he asked.

Ava frowned, glancing at me. "I'm here to talk about Milton."

Hunter rubbed his face. "Alright. Talk."

"Now?" she asked, glancing at me again. I sat down on the couch and got comfortable.

"Yes. Now. I don't have much time. What is it?" Hunter asked.

Ava blew out a breath and crossed her arms. "I talked to his team. The rumors are as bad for him as they are for you. We thought maybe having you seen together in a friendly set up would be good."

I snorted. A friendly set up. Scott and Hunter together would punch the friendliness right out of any set up.

Ava looked at me. "What?"

"Nothing. Carry on," I wave my hand. She glared at me.

"A friendly set up," Hunter mumbled. "Does Scott know about this idea?"

"His team knows. They'll convince him."

I snorted again. "Good luck with that," I mumbled.

Hunter chuckled and looked at me. "He'll do it if you ask him, Sapphire."

I made a face. Getting between the two stubborn idiots would be a headache.

"What?" Ava asked me, smirking. "Did you sleep with Scott as well?"

"Ava," Hunter snapped. Ava pursed her lips and rolled her eyes.

"No," I said, standing up, temper flaring. "I don't know about you, but incest isn't my thing."

Ava frowned. "You're Scott's sister?"

"I am," I said, slinging my bag over my shoulder and heading for the door. "I'll leave you guys to discuss business."

I couldn't help my feelings. They had been together. Hunter had moved on at some point of his life, obviously. I shouldn't hold it against him. But I just couldn't help my feelings.

"Sapphire, wait!" His heavy footsteps followed behind me. I pulled out my phone and called Scott.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

I stopped at the bottom of the steps, phone in my ear. "I'm calling Scott. You don't have to drive all the way-"

"No." He plucked my phone from my ear and cut the line. 

I glared at him. "Give me my phone back."

"No. We're driving in my car," he said, tucking my phone inside his pocket. "Let's go."

I pointed to Ava, standing at the top of the steps, watching us. "You have business to take care of."

"I don't have any business more important than you."

"Well, you obviously had at some point," I snapped.

He gritted his teeth. "It didn't mean anything."

We were no longer talking about business. I narrowed my eyes. "It doesn't matter."

"Yes, it does. Otherwise you wouldn't be angry."

My head was going to explode. The fact that he was right only made me angrier. I took a deep breath. "I'm not angry." I totally was. "I don't appreciate being lied to."