Chapter 36

"The reason we're here is for you two to be seen together. Don't be a child, Scott."

Scott glared at me. The silver necklace around his neck glinted, catching the mood lights. The party was held in a hall on the top floor of a hotel. There was a terrace outside, but very few people ventured out there. The weather was too cold, the wind too strong this high up.

All of Scott's teammates were here, along with their significant others. Jason was also in attendance, with several other athletes and celebrities.

"Let me know if you're gonna start fighting," Jason told Scott. "Lia is so mad she's not where the action is. I should at least film it for her."

I rolled my eyes. Hunter was currently chatting with a young guy near one of the tall cocktail tables scattered around the hall. The guy was a new professional boxer who'd been getting some recognition lately.

Dozens of lanterns were set up in grooves along one wall, giving the place a cozy vibe. Hunter's black hair swallowed every particle of light. He looked impossibly handsome. I caught more than one woman giving him a second look. I ignored the unreasonable twinge of jealousy. He was my friend.

"No one is fighting. We're all adults here," I said.

A tall handsome guy approached. Matt. He gave me a smile. "Hey, Sapph. I didn't know you were coming."

"Matt." I smiled.

He was carrying a bottle of coke. He held it out for me. "Yours."

"Uh-" how to refuse politely?

"Sapph doesn't drink that," Scott said.

Jason chuckled. "Also, never offer Sapphire a drink in a party, dude."

Matt raised his eyebrows. I gave Jason a look. Him and his big mouth, I swear.

Scott nodded his agreement. "Brings back awful memories."

I was going to kill these two.

"Sorry, Matt," I said.

"No worries." Matt winked. He looked at my brother and raised his eyebrows.

Scott sighed and threw his arm around Jason's shoulders. "Come on, man. I gotta show you something."

Jason and Scott left us alone. Okay, then. I guess I knew where this was going.

Matt cleared his throat. "So? How's the clinic doing these days?"

"Pretty good," I said. "How's football?"

He chuckled. "You don't have to pretend. I know you have no interest whatsoever in football."

I grinned. "Sorry?"

He shook his head, a small smile lighting up his face. "That's fine." He was quiet for a moment, then he cleared his throat. "So, there's this nice little vegan restaurant my sister and I went to last Sunday. It was pretty good. I thought you might like it."

I stifled a sigh.

I liked Matt. He was a nice guy, smart and he usually had more to say in conversations other than football.

But we just didn't click. We'd gone on two dates before. He was nice company, but that was it. Even if I had a relationship in mind, he wasn't the guy for me.

"Matt, you're a good guy-"

"Okay, that's never a good start." He chuckled. "Come on, Sapph. I'm not asking for a date. Just a brunch between friends."