Chapter 46

My heart beat in my ears, muting the driver's voice. My surroundings blurred. The honking of the cars pierced through my foggy brain and the headlights blinded my eyes. I shut my eyes tightly and clawed at the door.

"I'm proud of you." 

Hunter's voice echoed in my head out of nowhere.

Hunter.

I gasped and took a deep breath. The driver had stopped in a red light and was looking back at me. My surroundings returned.

Get your shit together, Sapphire!

"I'm fine," I said, and gave him the adress.

He just kept looking at me. "I think it's better if you find another cab, ma'am."

"I'll give you a thousand dollars," I said. "Just get me there as fast as you can."

His eyes bugged out. "You're shitting me."

"No," I said. "Do you know Hunter Jamison?"

He scoffed. "Who doesn't?"

"I'm his fiancé," I said, though he technically hadn't proposed yet. But those were just technicalities. Right?

He narrowed his eyes. I wonder if he'd seen me on TV or something. Because my picture had been all over social media and Sport shows after Hunter's fight.

"Ten grand," he said.

What a greedy ass. "Five," I said. "But you have to hurry."

He grinned and turned. "We'll be there in ten."

I had to keep my eyes firmly on my lap. Seeing the scenery move just made me realize I was in a car, and I wasn't driving!

Then I remembered the guy I'd knocked out. How much anesthetic had I put in that syringe? I couldn't even remember properly right now. Oh God. I really hoped I hadn't killed him.

The cab driver lived up to his promise. Ten minutes later, the cab screeched to a halt in front of the club. I opened the door and jumped out.

"Hey!"

"Wait here!" I called over my shoulder.

The cab driver cursed something. But he didn't drive away. I ran past the bouncer, but he held onto my arm and pulled me back. "Whoa there. There's a line-"

"Sapphire Milton," I said. "Check, my name should be on the list."

He scrolled through his tablet. "I don't have a Sapphire Milton. But there's a Sapphire Jamison." He narrowed his eyes. "Wait, you're Jamison's-"

"Yes!"

His eyes widened and he pushed the door open. "Go on."

Sapphire Jamison. This was not the time for Hunter's sense of humor! He probably told them the name before this shit happened.

I shoved my way into the crowded club, music blasting my ears, heading to the door right next to the bar counter. There was another bouncer there.

"Sapphire Jamison," I yelled.

He nodded and opened the door for me. Heart racing, I stumbled inside. The door closed behind me, closing off the thud of music in favor of cheers and loud conversation. The place was crowded. I went straight to the colosseum-style ring.

Down there, in the middle of the ring, Hunter was curled on the floor. There was so much red on the white floor I had to blink, thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me. Oh God. He wasn't moving. My knees threatened to buckle. I rushed down the steps, almost tripping on my feet, pushing past people and waitresses on the way.