Ch. 9 - Dark Stranger

Kiera POV

Exhausted from running all night without food or sleep, I came across a quaint inn in a small town. The weathered, cobblestone exterior radiated charm, and as I entered, the nostalgic scent of aged wood and the faint aroma of a crackling fireplace welcomed me.

After sleeping a few hours, I powered on my phone to discover a multitude of missed calls. Jackson had persistently called, leaving me over fifty messages. He knew I found out about his dirty little secret, and I didn't want to hear his excuses. I never wanted to see his face again.

He would either be furious, demanding my return, or he would be pleading for forgiveness. The thought of hearing his voice or seeing his face again filled me with hate. Memories of our shared past, from childhood to being mates, swirled in my mind.

Believing his words made me feel like a naive idiot. Yet, the realization that I would never feel his arms around me again weighed heavily on my chest. I had never loved anyone like Jackson, and I couldn't envision a life beyond him. It was always Jackson and Kiera, then we became Alpha and Luna.

As I was about to turn off my phone, a call came in from Devon. I took a deep breath, convinced he knew the truth about Jackson. I preferred talking to him and I desperately needed some answers.

As soon as I answered, his voice hurled through the line, filled with anger that matched my own.

"Where the hell are you?" he demanded.

"You're not my Alpha. Watch your tone!" Athena snapped, teetering on the edge of taking over and becoming a homicidal maniac. She desired the death of everyone who sneered at us, but I refused to let myself become a monster.

"Kiera, it's dangerous out there. You promised you wouldn't leave."

"You expected me to stay? You're as pathetic as he is."

"What are you talking about? What happened?" Devon growled over the phone.

"Like you didn't know. I met my husband's fated mate. She was marked and pregnant by your great Alpha. I guess you expect me to be like the others? Just bow to him and watch as he tosses me to the side? That will never be me, Devon!" My words were stern as I struggled to restrain Athena from forcing me to shift. She yearned to be set free to right every wrong done to us.

"I didn't know. That fucking bastard!" Devon's anger seemed sincere, but I wouldn't be quick to believe another soul again.

"I don't believe you."

"Kiera, I swear I had no idea he marked her already."

"Already? You knew he never rejected her?" Disgust churned in my stomach.

"I did, but he swore he was going to reject her. He said he needed more time."

"You didn't think I needed to know that?"

"Kiera, there are bigger problems we have right now."

I laughed at him. My life falling into shambles wasn't the priority, not when I was a Luna. I couldn't afford to be selfish, to have pride, or to crave respect from my husband. Love was a luxury I couldn't indulge in; my life always belonged to my people. People who no longer wanted me.

"I don't care about your pack's problems, Devon. I'm done with all of it."

"Don't be foolish, Kiera. He won't let you go. Return home, and once the peace treaty is signed, I'll find a way to help. He's too powerful right now."

"Return home? You're joking? I won't ever go back there."

"Kiera, he will find you."

My hand rested over my mark. This cursed bond acted like a beacon to mates. I had already been in one place too long, but I couldn't run forever. Devon was right; I needed to return home to finish this.