(GN) Ch. 141 - Washed Ashore

Chase POV

The moment I felt Kiera strong inside me, I ran to action. I stalked to the training grounds, my face clad in pure determination to find my mate. Every soldier bowed to me as I walked past them, and no one dared to disobey an order I gave.

I saw my people, hand and hand with those from the South, all of them rattled in fear their Alpha may kill them in his rage, and I felt nothing but pride. I never cared to enforce strict authority or entirely run a pack myself—this mission I would see out from beginning to end, though.

"We got camping gear packed with the omegas, Deltas are fully equipped with weapons, and the Betas have maps to lead each group." Becky stood beside me but with a considerable distance between us. I was surprised she and her mate didn't run for the hills after what my brother accused her of or that he almost killed her.

"Good, we move out in five. Where are my brothers?" I asked.

"They are coming down now. I'll get in position." Becky gave me a respectful bow, and I watched her from the corner of my eye.

"You could try thanking her." A familiar voice spoke behind me.

"Thank her for what?" I scoffed at Maggie. "Are the children safely tucked away?"

"Of course. We have any child under five guarded in the basement."

"The basement?" I turned to look at her.

"Luna Kiera has a fully finished basement. They don't appear to have cells, at least not under the pack house like we do." She said.

"Odd. Maybe they just kill their traitors." I shrugged my shoulders at her.

Everything was in place. My brothers and I took the front of the group, leading hundreds into the rainforest. We had no clue where to go other than following our instincts. We searched for hours, refusing to stop for any breaks. The sun wasn't kind to us either. The sweltering heat drained our bodies of energy, and it seemed there wasn't enough water in the world to revive us.

"I fucking hate the South!" Drake said. He was dripping sweat from head to toe.

"There's water ahead. We should stop for a break as the sun sets. Let's cool off before heading back out for the night." Elizabeth suggested, knowing we wouldn't stop for long.

"Fifteen minutes, then we head back out. The fucking ocean is like a hot bath. It won't cool any of us down." River ordered.

Elizabeth led our people to the white sand beaches while my brothers and I peered out in the distance. There was nothing but blue we could see for miles.

"Kiera mentioned islands off her shore." Drake broke the silence. "We've been walking in circles. Feeling her close then far away. Maybe they have her out there somewhere." He nodded to the abyss of nothingness the sea held.

"What are we, damn pirates now? None of us have been on a boat before." River spoke with annoyance. We were all becoming weary. Kiera felt close, though, so close, but as we moved, her presence faded.

"Is that an island?" I asked, placing my hand above my eyes to shield the sun.

"Island don't move, dumbass," River growled at me.

"She is..." I started to say, the warmth inside me growing.

"Fuck! It's her!" River shouted, leaping forward and diving head-first into the waves.

"Does he really think he can swim to her?" I cocked my head, watching my brother swim effortlessly, deeper and deeper into the waters.

"He is definitely going to try." Drake smiled at him.