(GN) Ch. 147 - New Plan

River POV

"Are the troops prepared?" I asked Elizabeth as I paced my office floor. We needed to obtain these crystals. It was our only hope in surviving.

"Yes, they are ready to move out first thing in the morning, Alpha. I will do a final check before sending them to met you as well."

"Are you not coming?" I stopped my pacing to look at her. She was standing straight and tall, arms behind her back and looking off to the side. She was the perfect image of a loyal soldier, which normally pleased me, but I also knew she was distancing herself. She wasn't here as my friend or loyal companion, she was here as my head general and nothing more.

"I thought it would be best to stay with my Luna. I will be heading the team back home to construct the wall though."

"You will be staying as far from me as possible."

"Kiera is sensitive about us together. I don't wish to anger my Luna and I would hope you feel the same."

"Don't question my loyalty to Kiera!" I roared out to her, but quickly cleared my throat.

"Sorry, Alpha, I didn't mean to disrespect you." She lowered her head and I sighed.

"No, I was out of line. I'm a little sensitive when it comes to Kiera too. I would never want to make her uncomfortable... or you."

Her eyes raised to me. "I should be reassigned, Alpha. We have too much history."

"There is no one else I trust!" I said with anger. I knew she was right. A small part of me hoped we could move past all this and go back to being just friends. That was a stupid and selfish presumption though.

"River, you know it's what's best. After I return from the North I will be leaving permanently, until then I would like to stay at Kiera's side, not yours."

I nodded my head. "I know, it still hard to let you go completely. Go, finish your preparations. Whatever position you feel is best you have my full support."

"Thank you, Alpha." She bowed respectfully then turned to the door.

"Lizzy," I called out to her. "I didn't know we would end up like this. I never wanted to hurt you or lose you."

"Me either but this is what's best. I never made you happy like she does and even if it hurts I'm also so happy for you. You deserve to have your mate and your son. You're going to be an amazing father, River." She winked at me then left.

I headed to Kiera's office feeling a mix of overwhelming joy and heartbreaking loss. The moment Kiera looked me in the eyes and said she needed me my walls came crashing down. I knew she was more than just my mate, she completed our family and now, she was giving us a child. My wolf felt nothing but pride, he didn't miss Lizzy or our old life in the slightest, but my human side was still loyal to her. I missed the North, our home.

"Stop! This isn't funny!" I heard Kiera shouting behind the door at the end of the hall.

"It's too late now, Cherie." Chase taunted her.

"Don't you dare!" Kiera's voice came out sternly and I smiled listening to them chase each other around the room.

I opened the door to find Kiera being held down by Drake as Chase showered her with whip cream. Kiera was thrashing in his arms, screaming for him to stop.

"You started this, Doll." Drake chuckled as he tightened his grip on her.

"You can't throw strawberries at me and expect no repercussions." Chase laughed as her squirted whip cream over her cleavage.