(GN) Ch. 146 - Light

Kiera POV

"Thank you for sticking up for me before," I said as my father and I headed to the lavish garden with palm trees, ferns, and bright tropical flowers. We had several
ponds with large fish to watch swim around, and hundreds of butterflies and birds came to visit all the foliage. It was a small paradise right in my own backyard.

"You never have to thank me for standing by your side. It is my job, sweetheart." He said smoothly, and for the first time, I didn't cringe at that word: sweetheart. I had only just learned he was my father, but I already knew that I believed he could do no wrong.

"I'm worried about so much. You being here makes me feel safe. Please don't leave me again." I stopped walking to face him, my eyes holding all my love and fears to him.

"I never meant to abandon you, Darling, and I won't ever again. I don't know why you have forgiven me so easily, but I won't let it be wasted either."

"There is nothing to forgive. I know you didn't abandon me. My maid, Melissa, she was the one that took me from you."

"What did Melissa do?" My father's voice turned dark.

"She tried to sell me to some auction house. She thought my white blonde hair meant something special: more money." I half giggled at the idea.

"Were you hurt?" My father's eyes softened, his hand coming to my cheek, and deep regret filling his body.

"No, Anastasia found me. She killed Melissa and her husband, then took me as her own. I remember how kind she was to me. Mostly, I remember how safe I felt with her, too. Did you send Anastasia to me?"

"In a way. Your mother and I left for an island far from the southern shores. It was said to be one of the dragons' homes from long ago. We were ambushed at sea, though, nearly killed and left for dead. We washed up on the shore of a small island. Only four men and I had survived the attack." My father looked down in shame, his fingers quickly wiping away the tears threatening to escape.

"I buried your mother's body on that island. For days, I could barely move; both my injuries and heartbreak kept me from doing what was needed. I was weak."

"You weren't weak, father." My hand rested on his arm. He was a proud man who took the world on as his responsibility.

"I was. I should have left immediately to find you. I wanted to, but I didn't have the strength to do so. After a few weeks, my men finally convinced me to leave and head back home. We spent another two days at sea, then washed up on the shores of the Nightmare pack's territory. That is when I met Lupa for the first time. She killed my men and awakened something dark inside me."

"Something dark?" I gasped.

"I was born in the North, cursed by the Forest myself. I fell in love with my enemy's daughter, a southern woman who held more beauty than anyone I ever met. I left my old life behind and made a new one in the South. I became Alpha and your mother, our Luna after your grandfather was killed in battle. We seemed untouchable for so many years, but Dietus eventually came for us." He looked at me with great sadness. "He came for you. We knew you were special the moment you were born; darkness and light held heavy inside you. It was my DNA that cursed you, baby."

"I don't understand."

"I was a cocky boy in my youth. I wanted more strength; I wanted more power. The alpha in me wanted it all."

"What are you saying?"

"I made a deal with Dietus. I never thought I would marry, let alone have children. Back then, I cared for nothing in the world. I never knew how selfish I was until I met your mother. One look at her and my whole world shifted."

I smiled with tears. I felt his love for her, and I knew he loved nothing in this world like he did for my mom. "It was a mistake, Dad. You didn't intentionally want anything bad for us and did everything you could to save us."

"Dietus owns a part of your soul because of me. Your power comes from the struggle of the light and dark, Lupa and Dietus. If I hadn't made that stupid deal, he would have never gotten his hands on you or my grandson. Our family is cursed because of my mistakes."

"No, I refuse to believe we will always be a burden. Either way, Lupa chose me to end this, and I will."

"That can only be done if you kill your mates. Trapping Dietus behind a magical wall will only prolong the inevitable. Your son or great-grandchildren will be burdened the same as you are now." He shook his head in frustration.

"Then our family will become the protectors of the wall. We will pass down the knowledge we have obtained and ensure no one releases him again." I spoke with Athena, who was strong in my words. She was completely in agreement that we would not harm our mates.

"I'm sorry I put this on your shoulders to carry."

"It is ours to carry, and we will do it with pride. If it weren't you that Dirtus got a hold of, then it would have been someone else. That someone could have done great evil and raised me to be a person I couldn't look at in the mirror. I have to believe we were chosen for this because we are strong enough to carry all the weight."

My father's lips quirked upwards at me. "You have always been so strong, Kiera, just like your mother." He placed a lingering kiss on my forehead. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." I smiled, my eyes falling to his cane. "How did this happen?" I asked, pointing to his leg.

"The darkness inside me is eating away at my body. Lupa healed me some, but her power wasn't strong enough to rid Dietus' influence completely."

"Darkness?" I whispered curiously. "Can I try something?"

"What?" He looked at me suspiciously.

My hand rested over his on the cane, and I closed my eyes. My soul instantly connected to the darkness within my father like it feigned to have it all. As I took a deep breath, I felt my body fill with power.

"What are you doing?" My father struggled to breathe as I continued to feed on the evil swirling inside his soul.

"I'm cleansing you," I whispered, then, with a great force, pulled myself back. I felt my eyes heat and could see the glow that radiated from them.

"Kiera? That was..." his hand dropped the cane and came to his thigh. "There is no pain." He chuckled.

"Mmm, it's all inside me now," I said in a trance-like state. My body fighting inside myself to burn away the darkness.

"Are you ok?" I felt his hand on my back as I wobbled on my feet.

"I'm good." I smiled up to him. "I'm really good."

"You looked demonic."

"The power Lupa and what Anastasia gifted me with can burn away the darkest of evils. It's like a high to me, but it fades, I promise." I stood, wiping my pants and regaining my composure.

"I didn't like that. Don't do it again." He reprimanded me, and I giggled.

"I think that is exactly what I'm meant to do. Don't worry, Dad, I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You are radiating more power, but how do we know it's not Dietus' power fueling you."

"I just know. It's Lupa's and only hers that can live inside me." My hands rested over my belly. "We are going to be just fine," I said as I thought of the amazing future that lay before me. "You are going to be amazing." I whispered to my son.