the downfall of class d

"You're dancing in the palm of my hand."

———

I woke up and checked my balance, of course, there was a total amount of zero added to my account, I had 85,000 remaining so it was alright for me.

Once I had made it to class, everyone was sat looking anxious and confused because of their lack of points. It's no surprise. They're quite deluded.

"Sae-Chan-Sensei!" Ike raised his hand.

"Yes?"

"I didn't get given the 100,000 promised!" He said.

"I'm quite certain that every class received points this month without fail." She responded after quite some time.

"B-But Sae-chan-sensei-!" Yamauchi had sweat visibly dripping from his forehead.

"I will not repeat myself." She cut him off, "The school has judged you of your worth and your worth is nothing but zero. In other words," She creepily smiled at us, "You received zero points."

Almost every one breathing stopped. People were unable to comprehend what had just happened. To live happily in bliss for one month, positive that you'd continue to the next only to have your thoughts crushed in front of you. My guess on what she's about to say is-

"You're all defective."

I looked towards my neighbour and her face stiffened whilst she clenched her fist. Obviously angered by the insult that she had just received. She's been looking down on me this whole month, serves her right.

Chabashira-Sensei unrolled a large piece of paper and pinned it on the wall, there it read the classes and their rankings:

Class A: 940 CP
Class B: 650 CP
Class C: 490 CP
Class D: 0 CP

All but Class D managed to retain more than 0 points which had the term 'defective' truly sink into their heads.

"The total of 98 absences and tardies and 391 incidents of talking and cellphone usage in class. Every single infraction that you've made I've counted. In this school, your performance is reflected in the number of points you receive. The 100,000 points that could've been yours went down the drain due to your stupidity. How do you feel Class D? Ashamed? Distraught? Pathetic? If I were you, I'd feel the same."

Sensei talked mechanically, like a robot, without any expressions painted on her face, crushing the hopes of the students of Class D.

Hirata raised his hand.

"Sensei, as it's our fault for not behaving like we've been told for the nine years of compulsory education we've had, may we be told the situation in how points are increased and decreased?" He asked. He's assessed the situation and it quite calm about it.

For the first time today, since she walked into class, a subtle smile appeared on her face, "That I cannot. We are forbidden to divulge the details of the assessment of merit towards the students. When you enter society and find a job in business, most wouldn't tell you how you're going to be assessed. This is such a pitiful sight to see."

To pinpoint the number of points taken away from each infraction would be nearly impossible so we'll just have to not lose more points, not that we have anything.

For gaining points, since there is a class hierarchy system, I highly doubt that there's not going to be some type of special exam or such to gain points.

"Let me indulge you all with a piece of information; for argument's sake, if we say that you all stopped showing up late to class and stopped talking, your deduction would be zero, but that doesn't mean you'll get more points."

In other words, she's also saying that the amount of points we'll be receiving for next month is also zero.

"The class points you receive aren't just an inductive to the number of points you get per month, but also your class standing."

There it is. My theory.

In different wording, she's explaining that if Class D managed to keep 491 points, we'd be promoted to Class C whilst those of Class C demoted down.

"Lastly I have one more piece of important information to give to you."

From her desk, she proceeded to pull out another piece of paper slightly larger than the latter.

The names of every single person in the class were listed, as was there a number next to each of them.

She smiled slyly, "From what I can see, the majority of you are idiots and I can't even sugar coat it from these test scores."

Except for the top students in the class, everyone scored below 60, and I scored just 60, "Seriously, what the hell were you guys doing in middle school?"

"If this test was recorded seven of you would have had to drop out this minute."

"D-drop out...?" One of the handful of people who got below 30 asked, frightened at her words.

"Did I forget to explain? Anyone who gets a failing mark in any midterm or final exam in any subject has to drop out immediately. On this test, that would be anybody below a 30."

An argument between Ike and his friend group with Sensei started, them going back and forth but failing against Sensei's words.

"Haha! You're all fools!" Another voice emerged over the idiots that were speaking.

"Shut up Koenji! You're in the reds too!" Yamauchi exclaimed, pissed off that he was getting made fun of.

Koenji raised an eyebrow, "Check again."

There he was, taking the second top spot underneath me, Yamauchi was in no doubt pure disbelief.

"What's the catch?" Koenji asked, so he too spotted the same thing as I.

Sensei smirked at his question, "The 100% college and employment acceptance rate. It's only available to those who graduate as Class A." She slightly said causing everyone's hearts to drop further than they already had.

She then left the room with everyone suppressed in silence. My seat mate was beyond angry, she was infuriated whilst clenching her fists.

That was her flaw and reason for being placed in Class D. Confining herself in solitude, mistaking it for independence. This is a hurdle she needs to overcome on her own, I wouldn't dare help her anyway.

"Ayanokoji Kiyotaka, please come to the faculty office."

Just as I planned on avoiding trouble, trouble comes to me. Good thing I found that store huh?

———

Would you rather date a worm,

Or,

Shinohara.