5. It Moved

The following morning Astrid had gotten up early, she normally got up at an early time but today extra early so she can get ready before the group heads to the CDC.

She still had a small anxious feeling in her gut, telling her the CDC is no good, but she brushed it away as she headed down to the quarry to wash a few of her and her dads knifes, just incase.

Astrid knew how to throw knifes, and use them well enough. Unfortunately for her, she never had the strength to get the knife into whatever she was throwing it at.

Daryl taught her how to when she was 6, after she begged him too for 3 months. She used to always watch her dad use his knife or crossbow and she really wanted to learn herself, so she could be just like him. Now its more of a survival measure, but part of her knew she wanted to be as talented as her dad. 

She picked up the knifes and carefully carried them down all by herself, she had grown used to the weight of it. Nowadays as extra protection her dad would let her have a leg strap around her thigh to hold at-least one blade in, she had to tighten the strap hard so it wouldn't slip but it worked well, and she felt more safe.

"Astrid!" Carl called out from behind her, running over to her. She didnt turn back since she had to keep her focus on the sharp objects she want holding.

"Yeah?" Astrid replied, biting her tongue as she gently placed the knifes down on a rock by the water.

"What are you doing?" He asked as he reached her and looked down at the knifes than back at her curiously.

"Cleanin' the knifes, 'fore we go." She replied as she dusted her hands on her jeans before cracking her knuckles, she had a habit of that.

"Oh..." Carl replied with a pause, he stood on his tiptoes like he wanted to say something but waited and watched her start to clean the knifes.

After she had cleaned one of the knifes, he came up behind her and reached for the blade. "Can I help?" He asked.

She pulled the blade back closer to herself, not wanting him to take her and her daddy's knifes. "Did yer' mom say you can?"

"Uh, yea of course!" He replied with almost too much energy, he had not asked his mom since he knew what she would say.

Astrid watched him for a moment, keeping a strong grip on the knife, she wanted to believe him and since he is older than her she has too, but she also didn't want to get in trouble with Lori.

"Are you sure?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. Carl nodded and reached for the knife again, this time she let him take it.

"Don't cut 'yourself, I aint dealing with it." She muttered, returning her attention to the rest of her knifes.

"I am older than you," Carl stated with a boldness in his tone.

"I'm aware." Astrid replied, not caring the slightest. Did it matter if he was older if she was the one who could hunt a squirrel?

"So I should be making sure you don't cut yourself, not the other way around!" Carl retorted, placing down the knife he was holding and crossing his arms.

"I know how to use a knife," She simply said, she knew to respect people older than her but stating facts didn't seem disrespectful.

The 2 stayed in silence for a few minutes as she finished cleaning the knifes, Carl didn't want to tell her he didn't know how to clean the knifes properly, so he just watched what she did.

"Carl!" Lori's voice called out as she approached the 2 children. Astrid didn't bother looking back, however, Carls head snapped back and he dropped the knife onto the ground.