6. The Jenners

Astrid squinted her eyes as the light calmed down, everyone looked equally confused and in disbelief. "Daryl, you cover the back!" Shane says as they carefully enter the building.

"Hello?" Rick called out, his gun held up at the ready incase anyone bad came out. "Hello?"

"Close the doors," Shane added, following by Ricks side. Astrid stuck by her dad, keeping her knife in her hand at the ready. The building was even bigger inside, it was very expensive looking. Astrid thought about how that much money could buy her infinite spaghetti. Everyone kept a eye on every direction, looking around cautiously.

"Hello?" Rick called again, followed by the sound of a gun cocking. Everyone's heads shot in the direction of the sound, the men raised there guns and Astrid held her knife up. There was a man in the corner of the room, he was holding a big gun- but he was holding it very wrong.

"Anybody infected?" The strange man yelled out, keeping a firm grip on the gun.

"One of our group was, he didn't make it." Rick says, talking about Jim as he lowers his gun.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The strange man said, that's when Astrid noticed a small girl behind him. She looked the same age as Astrid, had dark brown hair and was wearing a light coloured shirt with a pair of jeans.

"A chance," Rick responds, glancing at the little girl behind the strange man, everyone was equally as confused right now, Astrid just kept staring at the little girl, who was now looking back at her with a gentle smile.

"That's asking an awful lot these days," The strange man replies, stepping closer. The girl follows behind him, her hand clinging to his shirt, she must be his daughter or something.

"I know," Rick replied, shaking his head slightly. The room fell silent, the only thing that could be heard was deep breaths.

"You all submit to a blood test, that's the price of admission." The man says, looking at the group curiously, his eyes stop on Astrid before looking back at Rick.

"We can do that," Rick replies, he looks at the group than keeps his focus on the man and nods.

"You got stuff to bring in you do it now," The man says, lowering his gun. "Once this door closes it stays closed."

Everyone quickly hurries out to the vehicles and gathers their belongings, everyone but Astrid who stays still, looking at the girl who starts to walk towards her. "Dad can you-?" Astrid begins to say, Daryl nods before she finishes and than runs to the truck, getting his stuff and hers.

"Hi! I'm Sophie Jenner, nice to meet you!" the young girl says, extending her hand to Astrid. Sophie is about a few inches tall than her. Astrid doesn't do anything for a moment, processing everything going on, than holds her hand out and shakes the girls hand.

"Astrid Dixon," She whispers, after she shakes the girls hand, her hand drops back to the hem on her shirt which she tugs on.

"Cool name! how old are you?" Sophie asked with a big smile, almost bouncing from excitement of seeing another girl who seemed her age. Astrid was hesitant, she didn't know if her dad would want her giving away personal stuff, but Sophie seemed innocent enough so she gave in.

"I- I'm 8." Astrid admits, biting her lip slightly. She hasn't seen someone smile so much since the breakout, it was almost refreshing. Sophie's smile only grew larger, she was really excited now.

"I'm 9!" She exclaimed excitedly, she reached out her hand and grabs Astrid's. She flinches at the very sudden movement, Sophie looks at the bracelets than back at Astrid, "Can I have one?" she asks excited.