17. Dead and Gone.

Astrid didn't have much to do since her dad was gone and she couldn't find Sophie, she assumed she was probably doing something with Maggie. Those two were really close, Sophie basically stuck to Maggie like glue the second they arrived at the farm, Astrid didn't really get why, but she didn't ask questions.

So, she went and sat at Sophia's grave. Carl joined her, they didn't say much to each other, Carl was still kind of mad that Astrid dobbed him in. "You know we will see Sophia in heaven again some day?" Carol said kindly as she stood by the children. "She's in a better place."

"No she's not." Carl shook his head, Astrid looked at him with her eyebrows pinched together, confused. "Heaven is just another lie and if you believe it, you're an idiot!" Carl yelled as he stood up and stomped away, Astrid mouth fell open slightly in shock, why was he so mean to Carol.

"You're not an idiot." Astrid said with a small thin lipped smile to the older woman, "He is just angry." She shrugged. She did not want Carol feeling upset or anything, even if she didn't really believe in anything herself she wouldn't go around telling people their beliefs are stupid, that's not fair.

Carol nodded but stormed off when she saw Rick and Lori, Astrid put it together that Carol was going to dob on Carl. To be fair, she had all the right too, what he said was really wrong.

Astrid walked around the yard, bored, and eventually went back to the tent. She coloured in her book until she heard a rustling sound outside.

Curiously, she unzipped the tent slowly and peaked out. There was a little rabbit, very very small, hoping around the dirt. She couldn't help but smile at the adorable critter.

Astrid sat on her knees, watching the animal as it adventured around. She didn't even hear Dale come up to her. "Astrid?"

"Yeah?" She whispered, biting on her lip as she held her head in her hands, watching the baby rabbit.

"Do you know where your dad is? Is he back yet?" She looked up at Dale and shook her head. The old man nodded and looked at the rabbit, "Well that is very cute." He chuckled.

Astrid nodded, "I want to keep him as a pet!" She smiled, a look of pure happiness in her eyes, she hadn't had that look for a while.

She felt as if slowly but surely, she was returning to herself, you know? Like, parts of her from when she was a real little girl were coming back. She feels happy again, she can feel it in her chest, and she doesn't feel so much like a burden.

"I don't think your dad would agree with that." Dale laughed, adjusting his bucket hat. "Well, when he gets back, please tell him to come to the house."

Astrid nodded, acknowledging what he said, before returning her focus to the rabbit. Soon after, Maggie walked over, but she wasn't with Sophie. "Where is Sophie?" Astrid asked, narrowing her eyes, her friend never went alone for long.

"She's not with you?" Maggie questioned, concern lacing her face, Astrid felt a sense of dread in her tummy. She shook her head, "It's okay, she is probably just with somebody else. I'll go check." And with that, Maggie turned and hurried off.

Astrid didn't want to just sit around in case Sophie wasn't with one of the others. So, she dropped her rabbit and ran off to try and find her friend. She checked the chicken coop, the barn, every corner of the house- and still no luck.

On the other hand, Maggie was having no luck either, searching every inch of the farm after no one else said they had seen Sophie. There couldn't be too many places a little girl could go, right? and she wouldn't run off after seeing what happened to Sophia. If the group lost two Soph's, it would just be really unlucky.