13. Failure

The following morning the group was all around the camp, eating breakfast and doing other jobs or chores to keep themselves occupied. Everything was a lot calmer since they moved to the farm, almost too calm in Astrid's opinion.

She sat on the dirt with her legs crossed, drawing little figures with her fingers, she declined eggs when Carol offered since she wasn't very hungry. Daryl was in a chair opposite her but Astrid tried not to look at him, she was still mad at him for everything.

He tried to talk to her earlier but it ended in a lecture and her storming off to Maggie, making up and excuse to help with anything. She didn't want to be near her dad but she had no choice, it's not like there was many places to go nowadays.

"Uhm, guys.." Glenn says hesitantly, rubbing his chin. Everyone besides Astrid look over at him waiting for him to continue. "So the barn is full of walkers." He finally says, Astrid looks up now, her eyebrows furrowed with confusion.

They all gathered around the barn and Astrid stood off to the side, slightly behind Daryl and next to Sophie. Shane goes up closer to look inside and by the sound of things he is very pissed off. "You can not tell me your alright with this!" Shane growls as he walks up to Rick.

"No, I'm not. But were guests here. This isn't our land!" Rick responds in a calm tone, eyes focused on the barn.

"God, this is our lives!" Shane yells back.

"Lower your voice!" Glenn hisses, giving Shane a pointed look.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea adds.

"It ain't right! Not remotely!" Shane grumbles, rubbing his forehead. "We either gotta go in there. We've got to make things right, or we just gotta go. We've been talking about Fort Benning for a long time!" He continues to argue, he seems to have an odd obsession with Fort Benning, Astrid didn't really get why.

"We can't go!" Rick huffs, holding his arm up.

"Why, Rick? Why?" Shane questions.

"Because my daughter is still out there." Carol retaliated in a calm but sad tone, Astrid bit down on her cheek, she was loosing hope for Sophia now as much as she hated to admit it. She still wished she could've swapped places with that girl, maybe she could've survived on her own and found her way back unlike Sophia.

"Okay, I think it's time we just consider the other possibility-" Shane starts, getting cut off by Rick.

"Shane! we are not leaving Sophia behind." Rick retorted, shaking his head, Daryl stepped forward too.

"I'm close to finding this girl! I just found her damn doll 2 days ago." Daryl says in a gruff tone. Astrid looked down at the ground for no reason in particular, she hated to admit it but seeing her own dad care so much for someone else's daughter when he barely even talked to his own daughter made her upset.

"You found her doll Daryl! That's what you did you found a doll!" Shane sneered, angering Daryl more.

"You don't know what the hell your talkin bout" Daryl yells, swinging his arm in the air. Astrid felt her muscles tense up, everyone was getting loud, as much as she was used to yelling she still hated it but she made sure to hide that.

"I'm just saying what need to be said. You get a good lead it's in the first 48 hours! Let me tell you something else man, if she was alive and saw you comin all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears round' your neck she would run in the other direction!" Shane yells at Daryl, ignoring Ricks attempts to get him to stop.

Astrid hated to admit she agreed with him, her dad was looking creepy anytime he was out there. If she saw someone like that and she didn't know them well she would've ran too, or killed them, either one works.