Checklist: Part 1

Ishan started to laugh.

"God, Rishabh! The way you were talking, I thought of horrible things like--" No, he couldn't say aloud how he'd associated almost every awful disease and misfortune with Shubman in the past minute. "Who talks about someone getting married in that tone?"

Rishabh was looking at him strangely.

"So, you don't mind?"

"Mind what?" asked Ishan.

"Shubman getting married?"

"Why would I mind?" Ishan laughed again. "Of course, it's annoying that I don't seem to remember the girl at all, but she must have passed my approval, right? Who is she? Sara?"

"No!" said Rishabh. "That was years ago. You remember Sara, but you don't remember Shresta?"

The name didn't ring a bell.

"Nope." Ishan tried to sound nonchalant as he asked, "There are cures for temporary amnesia, aren't there?"

"Oh, of course," said Rishabh breezily. "I'm still not fully convinced you're not pulling off a huge joke on me, but Ishan, whether it's real or a joke, don't let anyone else know, all right? You saw Rahul bhai...Shahneel di is much in the same state, freaking out about everything, especially because the official planners are off to buy fireworks..." 

"Rohit bhaiya and the others are official wedding planners?" Now Ishan had to sit down on the stairs, he was laughing so hard. "What on earth is going on? How can you be an official wedding planner along with being an international sportsperson?"

"That's why Rahul bhai and you and I are just unofficial."

"And we're different from Rohit bhaiya and the others because--?" 

2027.

Oh.

Rishabh seemed to have realized, too. 

"You're really behind things, Ishan. Please, please go and shower and get ready. And do not let your ignorance slip. If Shubi gets to know you've forgotten Shresta and Virat bhaiya's--retirement--" From the sound of his voice, Ishan guessed it was a recent development, and neither Rishabh nor Shubman had fully come to terms with it. "--he will call off the wedding."

Rishabh frowned.

"Though that might not be a bad thing. Ishu, are you acting like you've got amnesia because you want the wedding to be called off?"

"I. AM. NOT. ACTING."

As Rahul bhai's furious footsteps echoed outside, Ishan fled for the bathroom, calling after him, "And I have no idea why you imagine I want the wedding to be called of! Is Shresta that terrible?" 

_________________

After a long struggle, Ishan had finally put on the complicated traditional attire he had found in his room and went down the stairs into the heart of the bustle, where everyone was rushing around--some in clothes like his, some like Rahul bhai who were buckling under pressure and had clearly not got time to change out of their nightclothes.

The songs blared louder than ever on this floor. It had changed from Rinkiya ke papa, for which Ishan was grateful.

"Kya naache tu Dilli, hile hai London 

Matak matak jaise Raveena Tandon 

Aag lagaane aayi hai ban-than 

Goli chal gayi dhaayn..."

Just the thought of that song was starting to give him vertigo.