The switch

It was strange how with all the beautiful lighting in the hall, with Shresta sitting opposite him, with the priest declaiming such...interesting...words he'd never heard before and with a sea of faces gazing at him, Shubman's eyes wouldn't move from Ishan's bent head.

Of course, that was before Ishan sprinted out out of the blue. So now his eyes had had to move--or his eyes hadn't moved, Ishan had--and were gazing at the empty doorway, willing Ishan to return. Shubman had no idea what could possibly have made him run like that, and there had been something disturbed and upset about his movement--and not knowing was driving him crazy.

He chose to focus on the priest's chants for a while.

What had made Ishan run out like that? Why was he not here to make ridiculous faces to keep Shubman from feeling too gloomy, as was his official job?

'I, Ross--'

'I, Ross--'

'Take thee, Emily--'

'Take thee, Rachel--'

Stop it. Stop it.

'Take thee, EMILY--'

Who would've thought a day would come when he felt glad there was no name-taking in their weddings?

'Take thee, Rachel--'

What was wrong with him?

Take thee, EMILY--'

It would look bad if he slapped himself in the present situation.

'In all my life, I never thought I'd be so lucky...as to fall in love with my best...my best...'

'I take thee, Rachel...'

Maybe he should forget how it'd look for a brief moment and slap himself, after all.

Then he thought of the slaps Di would give him afterwards...

No, it wasn't worth the risk. Enduring the crazy voice inside his head was better. 

'In all my life, I never thought I'd be so lucky...as to fall in love with my best...my best...'

While they were taking the rounds around the fire, Shubman kept peering through his sehra back at the door. Now he was mad.

Ishan wasn't supposed to not be here, whatever the reason be that had driven him outside.

Wait till he got off--he would go and show him--

Then the lights went off, plunging the hall into pitch darkness, and the soundbox boomed.

'RINKIYA KE PAPA

HI HI HI HI HAS DELE...

RINKIYA KE PAPA

HI HI HI HI HAS DELE...'

And Shubman felt two pairs of bony hands grabbing his arms and yanking him behind, away from the fire, the priest and Shresta. He thought he shrieked, but he was sure that was overriden by the song.

'RINKIYA KE PAPA

HI HI HI HI HAS DELE...

RINKIYA KE PAPA

HI HI HI HI HAS DELE...'

He began to struggle after he'd been dragged quite a long way, and heard a familiar snicker.

"Jaddu bhaiya," he complained.