The wedding planners

"No--no, seriously, don't--"

Virat's warning fell on deaf ears as Jaddu and Shikhar set off a very noisy cracker at the window through which Rahul and Jassi were just visible.

Vamika, hanging on Rohit's arm shrieked and laughed as inside, Rahul and Jassi jumped out of their skin violently. Then Rahul threw open the window and his glare found them. He looked more than a bit scary.

"RETURNED, HAVE YOU?"

"Ah, Rahul, don't shout, Vamika--" Shikhar began.

"MY SHOUTING IS BOTHERING THE KIDS? MY SHOUTING? WHAT ABOUT THAT BLOODY CRACKER YOU SET OFF!"

"I told you not to," Virat whispered reproachfully. "I told them not to, Moi," he called up.

Rahul slammed the window shut.

Virat rounded on Jaddu and Shikhar. "Now you two idiots have put me in his bad books!"

"And whose idea was it to go and buy the crackers in the first place?" asked Shikhar.

"Ash's," said Virat, glaring at Ash, who raised his hands.

"We ought to go and help a bit," said Rohit. "Don't you think?"

"Yes," said Virat at once, albeit for the wrong reasons.

"After setting a few rockets," said Ash.

"No, Ash, Rahuliya will--"

"Don't you want to set off rockets, Vami?" asked Rohit, and added under his breath, "which will keep Virat in Rahul's bad books?"

"Rockets!" agreed Vamika.

"All right, gang up on me every time!" said Virat. "I'm going inside to help."

He hadn't taken two steps before--

"Don't you want Daddy to stay and watch the rockets with us, Vami?"

"Daddy, stay with us!"

"ALL RIGHT!" Virat exploded.

His temper melted away when Jaddu and Shikhar extracted their sparkly bunch of rockets, which they had chosen with great care and he perked up in anticipation.

"Let's just be quick about it, Rahul needn't know!"

"Unless..." Rohit said.

"You can't snitch on me if you're a party to it!"

"Rahul would believe if I say I was trying to stop you."

"No, he won--why does he believe your lies?"

"Silence!" Ash ordered.

The rockets were arranged, five in a line.  Ash had lit a match and was bending to set them off.

BOOM!

Four of the rockets exploded and the fifth jumped a short way up and got stuck on the rainshade above them.

No sparkly lights.

Very anti climatic.

"Why did you get faulty rockets, Ro?" Ash asked indignantly.

"Obviously I didn't know--"

"Rahul is just above that rainshade," said Virat. "If he sees, he'll know we've been setting off rockets! We need to get it down!"

"Get what down?" asked Kuldeep, coming up with Yuzi and Shreyas.

Virat briefly explained.

"I think it'll be more helpful if you come in and help rather than if you get it down," Kuldeep suggested, genuinely meaning to be helpful.