Part 9- Try Hard

Again, I find myself in the kitchen with Calum. This time, listening to some of our old favorite music.
I clear my throat, "Do you remember in 10th year when that 12th year girl asked you to formal?"
Calum smirks, "And you had to teach me to dance?"
I nod, "So I got Ashton take me."
He laughs, "Do you still remember how to dance?"
I chuckle, "I don't think I ever did it properly."
He wraps his arms around my waist, "Nows as good a time as any."

2012

Calum pokes his head into the kitchen, "you busy sunflower?"
I set my toast down on my plate and brush off my hands, "No, why?"
Calum scratches the back of his neck, "can you teach me how to dance?"
"What makes you think I know how to dance?"
Calum raises an eyebrow, "Do you?"
I shrug, "I think so."

"Can you teach me?" He asks again.
"Alright, alright." I guide his hands to my waist and he pulls me in close locking his hands behind my back.
Can he feel my heart racing?
"Now what?"

I loop my arms around his neck, "small steps, I'll follow your lead."
He rigidly steps to the right and the left.
"You're so stiff, sway a little." I swing my hips around a little so he can feel the rhythm.
He begins to sway along and his arms relax against my waist.
"Usually there's music." I add with a smile.
He taps his head, "I have the music up here."
I chuckle and rest my head against his shoulder.

"This is nice." He says after a moment.
I lift my head, "you haven't learned the most important part."
"Oh?"
"You have to spin me." I feel like my eyes are gleaming.
He dips his head with a smile, "how could I forget the spin?"
He smoothly twirls me around and pulls me back into his chest.

"That was smooth." I say breathlessly.
"I have a good teacher." He whispers against my cheek.
I feel my cheeks burn and my eyes flick to his lips. He quickly runs his tongue over his bottom lip. Kiss him.
I shake my head and pull back, "what was this for? Just feel like dancing with me?"
His smile falters, "oh uh, Brooklyn asked me to, uh, be her date to formal."
I feel like I might as well have been stabbed, not that I have any right to.

I take a breath, "That's great! I'm going with Ashton."
I better talk to Ashton.
His smile grows a little too wide, "Great, guess I'll meet you there."

Present day

"What did you mean 'so I got Ashton to take me'?" Calum asks as he sways me back and forth.
I crinkle my eyebrows, "what are you on about?"
"Earlier when you were talking about the going to the formal."
My heart seems to stop for a moment.
"Well, when I heard you were going to the formal  with Brooklyn I was a little jealous, and wanted to go too." I say as nonchalantly as possible.

Calum lets out a small laugh.
I consciously loosen my grip on his neck, "What?"
"I barely remember that day."
I scoff, "how could you not? She had the most gorgeous blue Prada dress with matching shoes."
He shrugs, "I don't remember that, but I remember that you were wearing a floor length forest green silk dress that you had been so excited about thrifting."
"She was your girl for like six months after that, Cal. How do you remember what I was wearing but not her?"

I meet his eyes and I don't need an answer.
He liked me.
Does he still?
My mind wanders back to what Tristin told me yesterday. It will be.
The revelation hits me like a ton of bricks. He was meant to be one of my best friends, how had I not noticed?
Without thinking I pull him down to me and his grip tightens around my waist.
I can't believe this is real. It's something I've wanted for as long as I can remember. I close my eyes and let my lips relax against him.

Then it hits me. As much as I hate myself for doing it, I pull my face away about an inch, "It feels wrong to go behind Michael's back."

Calum's POV

Olivia Rose abruptly pulls away, "it feels wrong to go behind Michael back."
I groan, "Can't we just worry about the consequences later?"
This is something I'd wanted, been fantasizing about, for almost as long as I've known her.
She runs a hand through my hair, smooth as butter, "we shouldn't."
I smirk, "But we could."

She gives me a small peck and untangle herself from between my arms, "I don't want to ruin your relationship with your mate."
"I'll tell him as soon as I see him." I offer.
"He'd murder you."
"I want you." I admit.
I don't think I'd ever admitted it to anyone. Let alone imagined telling her.

"Why do you make things so hard Cal?" A smile plays across her lips.
"Michael probably wouldn't kill me. He'd forgive me eventually." I reason.
She fixes the edge of the sweatshirt she's wearing, my sweatshirt, "Let me handle it."

2012

"When can we go inside?" Brooklyn asks
"When Ash and his date get here." I say, eyes focused on the parking lot.
And suddenly, I spot him. I barely even notice what he's wearing as I see Olivia Rose link her arm through his. Her silky green dress flows perfectly as she walks towards us with the grace of a runway model. Her dirty blonde hair is in a bun showcasing the purple streaks going through it.
I hate school, but I'd stay just to take her to our senior formal.

Brooklyn shakes my arm, "Can you stop gawking at your friend's date?"
I can hear the hurt in her voice, but it takes all my willpower to peel my eyes away from Olivia Rose.
Objectively, I know Brooklyn must be the prettiest one here and she wanted me. But compared to Olivia Rose, Brooklyn seems like the most average girl here.

Ashton accidentally steps on her foot, then says something that makes her laugh. I can see why she'd pick him. If I were a girl, I'd pick him too. He's older and cool and handsome and I'm just Calum.
I play guitar, but she's obviously into drummers.