Curiosity

Kasey

It's been a few weeks since I met Ryan, and everything seemed okay. While the other kids ran around ICARIS, Ryan and I sat down, chatted about our lives, explored ICARIS, and met each other's families.

I learned that he lost his parents when he was 3, so his uncle and aunt took him in. Because of their jobs, he traveled around a lot. He had been to all the states in the U.S. when he was just 6!

I, also, learned that he liked eating wasabi peas, but hated their smell. He liked to climb trees and run in the grass, but didn't like swimming in anything but a pool. He, also, shared my love for music. But, while I liked calm folk songs, he liked k-pop.

Just as much as I know him, he knows me. He knows that I prefer to read rather than play sports. That I loved eating chocolate, especially with nuts. That I stayed in Washington my whole life before moving to ICARIS.

He knows everything except my health problems.

And I plan to keep it that way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where do you think they go?" Ryan asked me suddenly one day. We were lying down on the top of his dome, looking at the clouds.

"Who?" I asked.

"Tom and the others." he said. "We know that they sneak around ICARIS, but where?"

"I don't know." I said, focusing on a cloud that looked like a hotdog.

"Maybe we should follow them." he said.

I knew that it was a horrible idea. Many things could go wrong. I could get a panic attack, a meltdown, anything! And then, Ryan would find out the truth.

"I don't know if we should." I said, trying not to to show that I'm nervous. I could already feel my heart began to race.

"Why?" Ryan asked, turning his head to me. "You scared?"

"No! I just think we're going to be in...trouble."

"Wow." Ryan said, turning his head back to the clouds. "I'm younger than you and I'm braver." 

"Hey!" I  yelled. "One, you're only a year younger and two, and two, I'm not scared! Just...nervous."

Ryan looked at me and raised his eyebrows. "Okay." he said. "Nervous. Right."

"I am!"

"Sure. I completely believe that you're not a scared."

I sat up, my blood boiling. "Alright then. Since you don't believe me, let's try to find them tomorrow."

Ryan smiled at me. "Glad you agree."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, my heart was pounding and my head was swarming, but somehow, I found myself next to Ryan, hiding in a bush outside Tom's dome, waiting for his to come out. "I still hate this plan." I muttered to Ryan.

"Dully noted."

Suddenly, Tom opened the door of his dome and we fell silent.  He walked out and made a bee-line to the forest, where the sensors are lined up.

Quietly, Ryan and I followed him, hiding behind various bushes. My heart started to race and my head was feeling dizzy. At that moment, Ryan grabbed my hand and squeezed it and my heart went back to normal. Thank God.

It turned out that Ryan wanted me to see what Tom was doing. We watched as he pulled out his phone and pressed a button. All of a sudden, the sensors turned green and Tom raced through them.

"Come on!" Ryan pulled my hand, and we were running through the sensors. Just as we passed them, they turned red.

I stood still for a moment to calm my heart while Ryan looked around. "Lost him." he muttered.

I looked around and saw a flash of blue disappear behind a tree. "There!" I yelled, pointing at the tree.

We ran over to the tree, behind a log, and deeper into the forest when we found a hole. "Knowing Tom," Ryan said, "He's down there."

I looked into the darkness of the hole, and my heart started to beat faster. "No." I said. "No, no, noooo thank you. I'm good."

Ryan took out his phone and shined the light down the hole. "Better?" he asked.

"Only if I also use my phone."

I turned on my phone's flashlight, and slowly, we descended into the darkness. As we reached to the bottom, I shined my flashlight, but saw no one.

"Maybe we're at the wrong place." I said to Ryan. No response. "Ryan?"

I shined my flashlight around, but couldn't find him. I began to breathe faster. "Ryan?" I heard footsteps behind me.

I turned around and saw the most terrifying thing I ever saw.

A black and white...dragon.