Ryan's Dragon and New Feelings

Kasey

The next day, Ryan and I met the others in the Dragon Den, where my dragon was put for the night. I hugged her the minute I saw her. With someone with anxiety, you tend to worry about the smallest things. 

"Are you going to name her?" D'Angelo asked. 

I took a look at her dark green scales, with a few brown ones here and there. "Willow." I finally said. The name suited her.

Willow purred and nuzzled my neck. "I think she likes it!" Jun said, laughing.

"When am I going to get my dragon?" Ryan asked.

"The dragon will have to choose you," Tom said. "But, let's explore the Dragon World and find them."

I left Willow and went to Ryan squeezing his hand. "You'll find one soon." I said. "I promise."

Ryan looked down, then back and me, and smiled.

"Guys!" Alex called. "Let's go. There's an alarm in the Crystal Realm."

And we were off!

As we sailed down to the Crystal Realm, I felt my sense of happiness flood me once again. Me riding on Willow in her new saddle, with Ryan behind me, on a adventure. It can't get any better.

When we landed, I couldn't see any problem at first. Then, I saw the destroyed crystals. "Who did that?" I asked, pointing to the path.

"I don't know." Tom said.

We slowly approached the path of broken crystals. Suddenly, we heard a roar. "Hello?" Jun called.

"Don't call them!" Eugene exclaimed. "They might rip us to pieces!"

"If you are going to," Alex called. "At least make it quick."

Slowly, we heard the footsteps of a dragon approaching. And then, he revealed itself to us. A huge dragon, his scales dark purple with a few black ones scattered. And then, he lit himself on fire!

"Ahhh!" I screamed, backing away quickly. "What kind of dragon is that?"

"A Monsterous Nightmare." Tom said. "It usually belongs in the Fire Realm."

"What is he doing out here?" Jun asked.

"Something must have distrubed his territory." D'Angelo muttered. "Or, someone."

"Buzzsaw." I mutter.

I noticed that Ryan was kind of...staring at him, with the expression on his face that I had when I met Willow. Ryan...

"Go ahead." I said.

He turned around, surprised. "What?" he asked.

"You heard me."

He looked at the dragon, then back at me. He nodded, then stepped forward. "Hey." he called out softly. "It's okay."

The dragon looked at him curiously. "What are you doing?" Jun called.

Tom stepped forward, but I held him back. "He's got this." I said.

Tom looked at me nervously, but nodded. I looked back at Ryan, who was holding out his hand. My old feelings of anxiety started to creep in and my thoughts rushed through my head. If he dies, it's all my fault. Again and again and again. 

Please don't die, Ryan.

The dragon's flames flickered and his face was clear of them. He bent down and pressed his nose against Ryan's hand. I saw the expression on Ryan's face soar. I knew exactly how he felt.

The dragon calmed down, and the flames disappeared. They both seemed to glow. "Welcome to Dragon Club." I heard Tom mutter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rested in the Dragon Den and watched as Ryan attempted to train the dragon. "Sit." he said. "Sit! No, argh!" The dragon, instead of sitting, ran over to him and licked his face. Ryan fell back, laughing.

"Yeah," Tom said, chuckling. "They get really playful when they lower their guard."

"What are you going to name him?" D'Angelo asked.

"I was thinking, Blaze." Ryan said. Blaze licked his forehead and ran around the Den.

"He likes it." I said, petting Willow's head.

Eugene looked at his phone, then relaxed on the rocks. "The surprises keep on coming." he muttered. "First, Ry-Ry over there gets a dragon and now D'Angelo forgot about curfew."

D'Angelo jumped up, looking shocked. "Curfew!" he exclaimed.

Alex snorted. "Next time, keep that to yourself." she told Eugene.

We all said goodbye to our dragons and left the Den. We all walked away and Ryan and I walked over to my dome. Since our domes are close to each other, we end up walking in the same direction, first stopping at my dome, then his.

"I knew you could do it!" I exclaimed.

He laughed. "Well, you helped me." he said. "You believed in me."

"I had some doubts." I admitted.

Ryan poked me in the shoulder. "Well, I'm so disappointed, Kasey." he said in mockingly. "I believed in you and yet..."

I elbowed him. "Yeah, yeah." I said, smiling.

We reached my dome in a few minutes. Stopped at the front door, I turned at hugged him. "I'm still glad." I said.

He hugged me back, not responding. He didn't need to.

We separated and I went inside my dome. "Fun day?" my dad asked, seeing me.

"Yeah." I said smiling.

"I'm glad you're settling in well, Kase." he said, smiling back.

"Me too."

I went into my room, changed my clothes, then crawled into my bed. I was so tired but, for some reason, I couldn't get Ryan out of my head.

His face, voice, words.

That hug.

I felt a warm tingle in my stomach. Burying my head in my pillow, I thought Do I have a crush on my best friend?