31 ~ Checkmate

Wishing you all a very happy Diwali! Here's your gift *with soo much love*

I hope I get mine in return in the form of overflowing comments and votes. Love you guys! Enjoy reading!

⚠WARNING⚠: LONG CHAPTER ALERT! (Did I mention it's unedited? Well then, it damn is because your author wrote it while being busy with Diwali chores) 

Secrets were rulers of their throne of quietude as they tormented the keeper before popping out and the listener after being revealed. When a secret was kept for years, it dissolved into the head giving space for lies to capture the truth. The fact, however, is that they were dissolved, not disappeared. Hidden, not forgotten. The merciless knife of secrets struggling to remain behind closed doors twists inside your heart, drawing out your desire to smile. It happens three times: first, when the decision is made to conceal, second, when the topic is discussed and difficult to contain, and third, after the grand revelation, the final stroke ends the illusion.

The unreadable expression on Kabir's face declared that it was time for their illusion of peace to end. Stunned silence pursued his whisper as everyone nearly forgot to breathe. Dropping whatever tasks they were indulged in they let the anticipation of his next move terrify them. Meera's unsettled acute gaze intensified their fears. They felt as if the lips sealed for years, hiding throes of mysteries would be forced to open. This unexplainable fear was more dire than their own reflection of what transpired in the past or what they could do to change the dice into their favorable number.

All they could think about was his eyes slowly turning into a deeper shade of red, filling with raw anger that could burn them. He was seething to the extent of setting the world on fire with a mere glance. Getting ready to brace for the impact, they sharpened their swords of words in their heads, but the next moment, their weapons lay bare in front of Kabir's reaction.

There were no arguments, no brutal exchange of words and neither was there a demand for an explanation as Kabir snatched the land beneath their feet. Kabir's prompt response wasn't limited to a few syllables as he straight went for Veronica's throat, choking the life out of her with his bare hands. His blood boiled, knowing the same throat made his princess beg, plead, and make her feel weak that night. The woman he had empowered with his existence was left at her mercy to save his life. He could tolerate people cursing him, thrashing him, or blaming him with all their might, but one move against her meant inviting death.

Veronica's face was slowly losing all its colors as she struggled to breathe. Kabir's tightening hold scared her to the core, as she feared it might be her last day on the earth. Abhimanyu ran over to him and tried to pull him back, but he didn't budge. Meera's eyes widened looking at the scene as she couldn't believe that Kabir didn't even ask her a single question. He didn't even ask for confirmation, taking her words as the ultimate truth. While he stood there exploding in anger, she admired the man she had been blessed with. She was expecting he would lash out at her, refusing to believe a word against his choti Maa whom he preached, the one on whose insinuation he married her years back. She berated herself for even doubting that the man who was hers above the world would distrust her words. The one who would fight even his principles to stand for her. She didn't know if any damn being considered her important in the world but she was her husband's everything. His meaning of life.