1.

I was looking through the scope of my sniper, analyzing the scenery in front of me like a painter looking at his art for any signs of imperfections. There weren't any in my work, I was first in basic training, first to get a Medal of Honor, first to be deployed. First above all. It was something I held dear to me; my skill. I always thought practice made perfect, but at times you're just born with it.
I scrunched my eyebrows, noticing a tiny change of lighting in my painting. A shadow. Tall enough to be noticed by anyone, but blended in the background. Only a trained eye would notice it. I smirked to myself, resting my index finger on the hard trigger of the sniper. I was laying down on the dirt, rifle resting on a rock in front of me.

"I see with my little eye..."

I began taunting throughout the comms as the shadows chest was perfectly lined with the central dot of my scope

"a lieutenant"

*BANG!*

My bullet flew out of the barrel, swirling in the air until it made contact with my target. A yelp was heard, groaning and cursing filled the distance that was between me and the imperfection of my beautiful painting.

"You're a cheater."

Ghost's voice spoke through the comms and I let out a chuckle

"Cheater? I thought we were playing hide and seek, no?"

"NOT WITH REAL BULLETS?!"

"Oh my. It must've slipped my mind. I hope you don't lose your intestines on the way to the infirmary"

It was Ghosts idea to challenge me at a game of hide and seek. We each took turns being the seeker, and this time I wanted the game to be a bit more interesting. He wore a bullet proof vest, he'll live. Unfortunately.

After dissembling my rifle, I put it away in its case and walked to where Ghost was as well as Soap and Gaz

"Christ, she really shot you-" soap exclaimed, still uncertain if it was reality or just a dream

"No fucking shit, Sargent. Fucks sake..."

He groaned and cursed like a sailor, letting himself rest against a tree. He held onto his chest, the bullet proof vest having shielded him from certain death yet not enough to leave him completely untouched

The 8 months I have spent as a sniper for this team have been nothing but hell from Ghosts part. It would've been better for myself if I had aimed for his head... but then who would I annoy and piss off on command? Who would lend me his money without verbal consent?

"Lieutenant, sorry about that. Thought you were-"

He cut me off by backhanding me across the face and shoving me onto the ground. The case with the rifle fell with me, getting dirty but mostly intact

"You crazy bitch, you think shooting a lieutenant was a good idea? What if you missed and shot me DEAD?!"

He roared and my eyes widened in shock at his reaction. He knows I don't miss, I don't make mistakes. I have affined my skill to perfection, I thought he knew at least that much about me.

"Ghost I aimed for your-"

"I don't give a shit what you aimed at?! YOU PUT AN ACTUAL BULLET IN YOUR RIFLE"

His tone startled me a bit, especially since he didn't seem the type to explode in such a violent outburst. My cheek hurt but I could tell he held back. Had he used full force I wouldn't have all my teeth intact

"LT, let's all calm down. Katarina is skilled enough to know better than shoot a weak spot"

Ghost scoffed and shook his head

"Don't you dare think I'll let this stunt slide. You're Fucked"

That last word was marked to signify it wasn't just a threat. It was a promise, and I knew all too well Ghost wasn't a man to break his promises. He turned his back on me and walked with his BB gun back inside the base. That look in his eyes was still vivid in my head. The pure... anger. Hatred. Had this happened a few months ago I would've been let off duty immediately. Not that I'm not risking it at this point.

"Shit..."

I cursed under my breath as Soap offered me his hand to hold onto. I got up and dusted myself off, avoiding his glances in shame. I fucked up, and his reaction was logical. I could've avoided making it so dangerous... but I live for danger. The adrenaline of seeing someone fall limp after I pull the trigger. It's something out of my control, something that has taken me far in the military. But Ghost wasn't an enemy.

"You ok? That slap seemed a little rough"

Soap said, resting his hand on my shoulder as I rubbed the spot on my cheek where his hand had made contact.

"I'll live. I'll need to have a talk with Price, before Ghost can"

"What would that solve? Price would have the same reaction no matter who tells the tale. You put a real bullet in a game that was supposed to be harmless... I'm not on his side, if you're wondering. We know you could've killed him way sooner had you really wanted to"

Soap chuckled sarcastically and I let out a bitter chuckle myself. He was right, I made a big... big.. BIG mistake. Maybe asking for forgiveness may work this time around too? Tsk. What am I saying? If I even dare speak to Ghost he might as well plant a knife in my skull and use it as his cereal bowl.