015

02x03

It was easily one of the most idiotic ideas Buck had ever had. Unfortunately, it was the only plan they had. 

The plan was to go down using an elevator shaft. They'd hold onto the cable attached to their harnesses and hoist themselves down, and that way they could also get Batari, the injured guy, down. The whole plan depended on the elevator right above them not deciding to crash down on them. 

Eddie was going first, as usual, leading Batari down with him. Jamie was a little worried about how Collin was gonna get down, but he assured her that he was fine and could do it. She hoped to God it was true. 

"You sure you can do this?" She asked him again. 

"I don't really have a choice, do I?" 

Jamie gave him a sad smile, then she intertwined their fingers before replying with a sigh. "No, unfortunately not."

"Then I can do this." He tried to give her a confident smile, but it faltered, instead, it looked pained. 

"Get down here, guys!" Eddie called. 

Buck was going to take Collin down since it was easier for him to carry him, and Jamie was going to take Ali. 

"You ready?" Jamie asked the other woman, who only took a deep breath and nodded. She held tightly around Jamie's neck and she had one arm around her waist and one on the line leading them down. 

It went smoothly enough until the building started shaking and the elevator above them started moving downwards. 

"Eddie! Get that fucking door open, now!" Jamie shouted at him. 

He got the door open and right after he got Batari inside Jamie and Ali were there too. Only Buck and Collin remained, and for some reason Buck was lingering, just watching the elevator go lower and lower. 

"Buck! Get your asses down here!" Jamie shouted again, this time at the other firefighter. 

"All right, all right, here we come!" he announced, swinging in at the last minute, because right after the elevator lost control completely and crashed. Ten more seconds and both Buck and Collin would've been dead. 

"Why the fuck did you hesitate?" Jamie was almost screaming at him now. She was angry. "You could've fucking died, you almost did! Again! And you almost took Collin with you this time! You're so goddamn stupid, I should kick your fucking ass." 

Buck didn't answer. He just laid down on the floor and breathed. Eddie, who was checking out Collin's wound again because frankly, he was terrified of what Jamie would do if anything happened to him, was the one who answered her. "You can kick his ass once we're out of here." 

They managed to get out of the building relatively safely. Jamie got Collin to an ambulance, and Ali was checked over by paramedics. However, they found out that their captain and Chimney were disobeying a direct order to evacuate because they still hadn't found Hen, so of course they went back in. 

As they entered the garage they saw Chimney exiting a truck and heard Bobby say that the debris should be far enough out by now for them to get behind it and push it out the rest of the way. 

"Looks like we got here just in time then," Buck announced their presence. 

"Yeah, seems like they were planning on having all the fun without us," Eddie added. 

"Heard over the radio you needed some equipment and available hands down here."

"You know you guys are disobeying a direct order," Bobby told the trio.