016

The last few days since the earthquake had been passing by in a blur of mojitos, fights, and meaningless hook-ups. Jamie hadn't been going to work, and she hadn't answered any of her co-workers' calls or texts either, the only thing she was able to do was go to the bar and then home to either herself or a stranger.

She was stuck in a state of constant vigilance and anxiety as if a part of her was still hanging from that window, flirting with death. Alcohol was the only thing that eased it.

"Hey there," she heard a suggestive voice next to her, paired with a soft hand on her arm. She turned her head and saw a pretty girl with fair skin and short brown hair. "Are you here alone? I could keep you company."

"Not tonight, sweetheart," Jamie heard Buck's voice from behind her. She rolled her eyes and turned to face him. The girl who was just talking to her scoffed and walked away.

"What are you doing here?" Jamie tried to keep her tone neutral, almost bored, but her speech was slightly slurred so it was easier said than done.

Looking at him was like looking directly at the sun. Bright, beautiful, and impossible to look away from no matter how much it hurts.

He looked her up and down as if he was studying her. It made her nervous. "I'm here to take you home."

She ignored him, turned her chair back around to face the bar, and ordered another drink from the bartender. She could feel Buck's watchful eyes burning her alive, but she was determined to turn to ash rather than give in to him.

"Jamie, come on," he said in another attempt to get her to leave. "Put down the drink and let's leave."

She couldn't help but laugh as she spun her chair around again. God, she hated him right now. She hated how much she loved him.

"Evan, if you really feel the need to tell a woman what or what not to do, I suggest you pick up the phone and call your girlfriend rather than bothering me."

He clenched his jaw and looked away from her, just for a second, but it was enough to make Jamie believe she had won. She almost did.

But then he took three quick steps towards her. He grabbed the drink from her hand, put it down on the bar, then he placed his hands on either side of her, trapping her between his arms. He leaned down so he was at eye level with her and looked right into her eyes.

Jamie could feel her heart beating violently against her rib cage, almost as if it was trying to break free and offer itself up to be devoured by the man in front of her.

Buck refused to break eye contact, and Jamie wasn't going to yield first, no matter how much her heart and her brain were screaming at her to just give him whatever he wanted.

He licked his lips, and Jamie almost thought he was going to kiss her, but then he spoke with finality. "You're coming with me."

She didn't make a sound, didn't even breathe, but she knew she was going to go with him. She was fairly certain she would do absolutely anything for him.

He searched her eyes for something, and apparently, he found it, because he straightened up with a pleased smirk and extended his hand out for her to take.

She stood up, placed a few bills on the bar, and then walked out of the bar without sparing him a second glance, completely ignoring him and his outstretched hand. She would go with him, but she would not give him the satisfaction of knowing he had made her fold like a lawn chair.

————

Buck hadn't known what state he should expect Jamie to be in when he found her. He didn't know if she would already be black-out drunk and making bad decisions with bad people, or if she was only going to be on the way there. All he knew was that his best friend was on the path of self-destruction, and he desperately wanted to save her.