My Sister's Acceptance

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter

Aurora looked at the derelict house before her in distaste. She wasn't sure how anyone was able to live in it. True to his word, Snape had met her outside the Malfoy's manor exactly thirty minutes after he had left her. He had returned in a mood that was far worse than the one he had left in. Something she couldn't believe was even possible.

After roughly grabbing her by the upper arm, and yanking her into his side he had apparated them away. Now he was leading her up the steps of a very neglected home. While she had been born to privilege and didn't know much about the poor, she did not think the other half could possibly be living like this? 

Snape opened the front door and led her into the house, his shoulders were stiff. Aurora was nervous that he would hurt her the moment the doors shut behind him. She held her breath as she heard the soft click, and let it go when all Snape did was weave her through a very cluttered sitting room, and an equally cluttered kitchen. There was stuff everywhere! 

Pots and pans littered the counter tops and were piled on top of one another. They did not appear to be dirty, just not put away. Pantry items were neatly stacked together and pushed into a corner of the wall opposite the refrigerator. The mound of cans and boxes had gotten so full that it took over a third of the kitchen. The small rickety table was littered with odd baubles and ends, and old newspapers. 

However, despite the clutter surrounding everything, the kitchen was not filthy. There was a place set left open for eating among the neatly aligned clutter. The floors were clean, and the sink didn't even have a single dish in it.

"Mum?" Snape said suddenly, and Aurora looked to him in shock.

She had not expected his mother to be here. For whatever reason, she had never given Snape with parents much thought. If they were anything like their son, then it may not increase her odds of getting a lesser punishment with their presence. 

"Severus? Is that you?" A feminine voice shrilled from the cracked door that seemed to lead outside. 

Snape pushed the door open and stepped back out into the frigid wind. This door led to a small patio in the back of their house. A tiny expanse of grass reached past the concreted pad, and beyond that was a wooden fence that had seen better days. A lounge chair had been placed on the patio, a dour woman sat upon it. There was no doubt in her mind that she was Snape's mother. He had inherited her dark hair, sallow skin, and angular features.  She was wearing long sleeved robes that were a deep wine color and covered nearly every piece of skin. Aurora was able to discern small white marks on her body in the places left visible. His mother was scarred.

"What are you doing out here?" Snape asked impolitely, his lip curled into a sneer as he took in his surroundings.

His mother barely paid him a glance, her sharp eyes were narrowed on Aurora in interest. "I'm enjoying the weather." She said without humor. 

Aurora drew her brows together. It was glacial out today and she would rather be inside than out in the freezing temperatures. Snape gave his mother an incredulous look, "maybe if you were a polar bear." He sniped.

His mother frowned at him and gave him a piercing look, finally shifting her focus from Aurora to her son. "Watch your tone." She said.

Aurora watched in shock as Snape blushed slightly in embarrassment and then mumbled a hasty apology. His mother gave him an indulging smile and then her eyes were boring into Aurora once more, "So, who is your friend?" His mother asked, doing nothing to hide her curiosity.

Snape's expression grew smug as his eyes locked on to Aurora's frame, and she fought to control her reaction as he stepped closer to her. Snape wrapped an arm around her waist and brought her tightly against his side. "This is Aurora Black. She is my intended." He said proudly.