Chapter-28

I'm early. The schedule shows exactly what it did the last couple of times, there was still two hours for our flight. Shifting in my seat I lean back on the chair observing the night sky and the quiet lounge area. I was waiting in LAX departures terminal with a sick Daria sleeping in my arms. Brad was supposed to bring her home but he was called back suddenly. I did apply for a leave immediately after but it wasn't cleared so I was forced to wait. As nobody was available, Daria had to stay for an extra week, three nights ago, Stacy told me Daria was running on high fever and was constantly asking for me. Catching the next flight out of NY I arrived here in the early hours and the sight that met me had me in tears. Her fever broke shortly after but she was in no condition to fly six hours.

Given a choice I'd like to stay until she recovered, but there wasn't any. After I left a short explanatory email to Franklin about my sudden leave, he called back informing I had three days to return, he tried his best to convince our higher up he'd said, but this was all he managed. Our firm had a stringent leave policy, besides this was bad timing. One of the clients were livid, threatening to take the project to someone else, also proceeding with legal action if there weren't better results. Their planning department didn't approve the designs and it was already our fourth attempt, few days ago we reached an agreement but they wanted a moving model and a full-blown meeting which was scheduled for early morning tomorrow.

Daria stirred in my arms, stroking her hair I gently tried to ease her discomfort. But after shifting some more, her eyes fluttered open wide, anxious until they found mine and the panic in them receded slowly.

"I'm here baby" I whispered gently kissing her forehead, she moved closer weakly holding the sides of my shirt.

"Does it hurt here?" I ask lightly touching her stomach, she shakes her head slowly.

"Will you eat something for mommy now?" she shakes her head before resting it against me

"Please?"

"no" she says in a raspy voice and brings her arms around my neck. Hugging her to me I rub her back till I could assure myself she'd be okay. After a while she falls asleep again, this would scare me if the doctor didn't already say it was normal for children to sleep constantly, that's how they heal he said.

She was still sleeping when we boarded and I hope she'd sleep through the take-off. Little over two hours after the take-off Daria starts getting fuzzy. Bringing her out of her seat and to me I talk to her trying to settle her down but it only agitates her more and she starts whimpering. In the corners of my vision I see someone exchanging seats with the man in our row.

"Hi Stranger" he says softly, hearing a familiar voice we turn to him

"Adrian! What are you doing here?" I ask as Daria warily observes clutching me tightly

"You don't remember?" he asks frowning

The morning after he stayed over, I woke up to find him gone. There was a note on the table with a basket of strawberries.

Good Morning, I tried waking you up but looks like you were really tired. I'm heading over to Denver and maybe Moscow, not sure. I might be gone a while. Don't work too hard. Please be safe. Thank you for giving us a chance. I'll miss you.

We had exchanged a few messages here and there.

"I do but weren't you in... Moscow?"

"Told you about LA after that?"

"I didn't read them, was busy" I offer him a small smile, he blinks in understanding

"But, same day same flight?"