Chapter-22

Adrian:

After she left me dumbstruck in the morning, I was back at the office. Cold clarity surrounded me as I was in out of sensitive briefings. On my way to another I was informed that Daria was at a daycare till Faith's work day ended. The force of today's revelation hit me in its entirety when I found myself frantically driving to the daycare. It's been two hours since I've reached but I couldn't make myself move. I wasn't here to meet her that much I was sure.

This was Faith's daughter. My Faith has a daughter...our daughter? Was it really possible? If that alone could pull the rug from under my feet, I find out I'm my pixie's dad. There are no words to express the way I'm feeling right now.

But this also implies because I didn't know about her, all this while she wasn't protected. My daughter could've been hurt by that bastard and I wouldn't even know about it. The thought of it happening accelerates my anger to the point where I want to be back home throwing punches at the bag but I cannot leave. Not until Faith comes to pick her up.

The evening sky darkens as red angry clouds spread promising thunder and rain. Parents walk out of the building with their children. Parents...saying that word feels terrifyingly tender. Its quarter past six in the evening, yet there's no sign of Faith. More children leave the premises, it now looked isolated. Daria's still inside. She might be alone.

I hadn't planned on going in but it wasn't a choice anymore. Locking my car, I go inside the Daycare and ask for my little girl. The woman at the desk gives me a strange look while asking my relationship with Daria.

"Call her she'll know who it is"

"Sir I can't do that until I know who you are"

I'm her friend and her father. But me telling her that would only make it worse because I suspect Faith only mentioned her name in the paperwork.

I give her my business card deciding to let that talk

"Mr. Isidore, sir I still need to know your relationship with her" she says not budging

"Call Daria Wayne. She knows me."

"Alright sir" she says uncertainly and walks inside leaving me in waiting area. She walks in holding the hand of a quiet Daria wearing a black frock and matching shoes with her curly hair left wild. As she comes further into the room, she notices me and her eyes light up.

"Ray!" she screams in happiness and my breath hitches in my throat

She is my daughter? wow.

I bend down to her height when I see her coming closer. She runs to me hugging my neck tightly and I feel a strange emotion swirling in me. Swallowing hard I say "Hello Stranger"

"Why do you always call me that" she laughs as I release her

"Because that's your name" I retort

"It's not silly. My name's Daria" she says proudly

"mh hmm" I say not believing her

"It really is" she emphasizes nodding her head trying to convince me

"Whatever you say stranger" I wink at her before turning to the Receptionist "I'm taking her with me"

"Daria sweetie do you know him?" she asks

"Yes miss, he's my friend"

"Does your mother know him?"

"My mommy knows him but does not like him a lot" pixie says earnestly