Chapter 10

Sky practically pushes P'Pai out of the house on Tuesday morning, ordering him to go to school.

"Wow," P'Pai says, giving his best sad puppy dog impression, "I take care of you while you are sick and now that you don't need me any more you are pushing me away without even a thank you."

Sky frowns, "I didn't ask you to."

"I wanted to," P'Pai says. "I just want you to realize I really do care about you."

Sky almost asks why he should, Sky is nobody but stops himself. "Go, if you are late for school, I won't let you buy me dinner tonight, and I want rice and basil pork."

Pai grins at this, and Sky knows it's because he's accepted the fact that P'Pai will bring him food regardless.

"Wait," Sky says as P'Pai turns to leave. He isn't sure why he does it. Maybe he is still a little sick. He leans in and gives P'Pai a kiss on the cheek. "There I thanked you. Now go."

P'Pai looks stunned for a second, then gives Sky a sunny smile. Sky scowls at him and pushes him out the door, slamming and locking it behind him.

No one sees Sky slide down to the ground and bury his red face in his hands.

Ple hadn't meant to tell anyone what she suspected, but P'Som had just made her so mad that it had slipped out. Her brother could be so infuriating sometimes.

She understands that P'Som likes P'Phayu. He had talked constantly about him since he had started university last year. It is pretty obvious where her brother's heart lay. Ple even has a small crush on him, herself. P'Phayu is so handsome and nice that it's hard not to.

Rain is Ple's friend, though, and Ple will always support her friend. Besides, it's obvious to Ple and anyone else who looks that P'Phayu only has eyes for Rain.

So when P'Som, in a fit of jealousy, decided to bad mouth Rain, Ple saw red. For months, she had put up with her brother's little snide comments and jealous remarks. She kept reminding herself that she needed to be respectful because he was her brother and her senior, but she couldn't take it anymore.

It started at lunchtime. She and P'Som had been in line when Rain and P'Phayu passed them, having already gotten their food.

"Rain," Ple called him over because she was worried about Sky.

"HI, Ple, P'Som," Rain gave a respectful wai.

"Is Sky feeling any better? Have you talked to him?" Ple asks.

"I talked to him this morning," Rain says, "He is feeling much better and will be back in school Monday."

"That's wonderful news." Ple says and means it.

"Excuse us." P'Phayu says, he has both his and Rain's trays, "we'll go find a table. Join us when you have your food if you like."

"We will," Ple says, giving him a smile.

"Ugh, I can't stand the way P'Phayu babies him, carrying his food and everything." P'Som says.

Ple sighs and bites her tongue. She will not start an argument with her brother in the middle of the cafeteria.

"I even heard that P'Phayu isn't riding his bike to school anymore. Maybe Rain is too scared of it." P'Som says.

It's such a ridiculous accusation. Ple has seen Rain happily clinging to P'Phayu on his bike many times. They are so cute together on it that Ple has often wanted to take a picture.

It slips out before she thinks. "It's probably because of the baby."

As soon as she sees P'Som's eyes widen in shock and understanding, she realizes her mistake.