Chapter One

Rainkit hung from her father, Nohair's, jaws. The breeze ruffle her short fur. Her eyes gleamed as her father padded up the mountain, careful not to slip. She had been making the journey to visit Breezekit, her sister, who had stayed with The Tribe Of Rushing Water. As her father hopped from stone to stone, she heard the beating of an Eagle's wings in the distance. The air shot down, making her ears pin, as the eagle swooped down to make a catch. Her father ducked, set her down under his shelter, and clawed the Eagle, blood dripping down his claws. The bracken-and-white colored bird fell limply, and he stuffed it in a crack to fetch later. Rainkit stared at her father, mesmerized by his agility. She mewed and squirmed as he picked her up, feeling uncomfortable.

"Oh, stop moving around, will you? Do you want to see Breezekit or not?" He hissed. She quickly stopped.

"Daddy?" She murmered. "Will I ever be as good a warrior as you?"

Her father nodded?

***

"Hello, Sun Where Lions Rest." He greeted the cave-guard. Sun nodded his hellos.

"Greetings. Here to see your kit?" The large tom asked. Nohair nodded. Sun lead them to a place just behind the waterfall where Breezekit lay.

"Breezekit!" Squeaked Rainkit as she rushed toward her kin. Breezekit backed away, standing proudly.

"I'm not Breezekit anymore. I'm Wind Where Leaves Blow; and I'm a to-be now." Wind hissed. Rainkit tilted her head, and rushed toward her sister's mother. Her father had had two mates, and the other was back in WindClan.

"Snow!" Nohair purred as he walked to his mate.

"Nohair." She licked his ear and nuzzled him. Wind looked at Rainkit, sticking her tongue out. Rainkit pounced on her, purring with happiness with being able to see her sister again. Rainkit stopped.

"Wait. You're a to-be? Doesn't that mean you're an apprentice?" She whined. "No fair!"

"Aw," her sister mewed, nibbling on her hind leg to soothe an itch, "you'll be one soon. Don't you have to go back to mommy?" She purred. Rainkit glanced at Snow, or Snow When Ice Falls, and tilted her head. This she-cat had not been related to her, yet she felt a small feeling towards her. Like her kin, not her mother. The kit-mother's eyes gleamed as she groomed her love.

It had been not long but long enough once the cats heard the soft drip, drip, drip of drizzle of rain outside.

"We better get going." Nohair pointed out. Snow gave him a loving lick and muttered something that Rainkit couldn't hear. Her father's eyes lit up and he nodded. Picking up the black kit, he padded out of the cave, the waterfall turning from a roar to a faint mumble as they padded down the rocks.

"Your mother will be waiting for you." He said. Rainkit did not reply. Instead she gazed at the sun setting below the horizon. She would miss playing with her sister, and once they, or she, was a warrior, they would have little to no time for eachother. Once again, the familiar beating of wings  hissed in Rainkits ear. She glanced upward, and saw a horrified look in her father's eyes as he tried to protect his kit. The bird, which looked like the same Eagle from earlier, though Rainkit knew it couldn't be since her father had killed him, neared the pair and, with his talons wide, dove right to Rainkit. Rainkit ducked, but she was too nervous and suddenly froze. Pain slashed at one eye, then another. When the Eagle realized it couldn't get the kit out of her father's, it flew swiftly away. Blackness gradually dove into Rainkit's eyes, until the only thing she saw was a dark, dark night with no ending. The pain faded as she fell limp in her father's grasp.