Chapter Six

Rainpaw's eyes fluttered open only to sense light. She lifted body and stretched her skinny limbs. Rivershine looked at her.

"Good morning." She muttered. Rainpaw smiled and sniffed her sweet, honey-like scent. Rainpaw glanced around, look up to the direction of the sky to see light or darkness. A nice bright morning was in front of her. She padded out to the camp and bumped into a queen.

"Sorry, Sunfur." She meowed to the grieving she-cat. She heard the queen gulp.

"Oh, it's fine." She mewed.

"Are you ok? About Tigerkit?" Questioned the cat.

"I'm getting better." Replied Sunfur.

"What about Redkit or Darkit?" 

"Yes, yes. I'm fine. So are they. Thank you." The queen padded to her mate. Rainpaw shrugged and walked away to Sunsetstar.

"Yes?" He asked his deputy. "And how does that matter? They are not destined. They can't even see . . ." He stopped when the medicine apprentice walked to him.

"Sunsetstar?" She meowed. "Rivershine told me to tell you she had a dream from StarClan."

Sunsetstar nodded, knowing Rivershine was gathering herbs. "About . . . ?" His voice echoed in his den. Cowpelt sat down beside him.

"She said, 'a drop of rain will end the burning'." The cat muttered. Nodding, Sunsetstar told her to leave. She padded away calmly. She did not know why she had to deliver the message, usually the mentor would send her apprentice to gather herbs while she delivers her discovery, so maybe Rivershine needed to get some time to herself? She sat down and licked her chest fur, then her paw, and she dragged her paw along her ear. She looked up, and through the blindness she saw the sunlight dimming. She followed the path she took—as well as the delicious smell—to the fresh-kill pile and took a plump rabbit. She trotted to her den. She memorized the path moons ago, but still struggled. As she walked in, a new scent hit her. Loner? She thought. The scent mingled with Rivershine's smell. Rivershine looked up.

"Rainpaw?" She meowed. "Don't freak out."

"Why is a loner here?" Rainpaw growled. The loner had a fiery pelt with amber eyes, and a white tuft of fur on their chest, along with their white muzzle. Rainpaw could smell they were a she-cat, she could also smell blood. She wrinkled her nose at the stench. Eyes wide, she sat, still wary about the loner.

"I found her in a tree, she said a dog chased her and she scratched her hind leg badly on a branch. Sunsetstar told me I can help her. Pumpkin, will you show her your kits?" Rivershine faced the loner. Pumpkin nodded. She lifted her body to reveal three kits, one a dark tabby Tom with amber eyes, one a light fiery orange she-kit like her mother but with green eyes, and one a bluish-gray she-kit with one gray eye and one icy-blue eye. Her kits looked well-fed as they were squirming around strongly. Pumpkin winced as Rivershine applied cobwebs to her slash. Pumpkin tilted her head at the apprentice.

"Are you blind?" She asked. Rainpaw nodded. "Oh, I'm sorry. Rivershine has been telling me about the Clans." She changed the subject. "Would my kits and I be safe?" She asked the medicine cat. Rivershine nodded.

"Absolutely. Queens, kits, elders and leaders come first." Mewed Rivershine.

"Then I would like to join WindClan." Pumpkin decided. Rainpaw flattened her ears.

"Go talk to Sunsetstar." Meowed Rivershine. Pumpkin padded to the leader.

***

Sunsetstar had called all the cats to the clearing when Pumpkin sat on the TallRock.

"This young loner has told me she is interested by our ways, and believes she should be a part of the Clan." Announced Sunsetstar. Half of the Clan growled, but half meowed their agreement. "So from this day on, Pumpkin, the loner, will be known as Flameheart. As for her kits," he held up the tabby, "this kit will be known as Barkkit," he held up the fiery kit, "this kit will be known as Morningkit," he then held up an eyeless kit, "this kit will be Skelotonkit," lastly he held up the blue kit, "this kit will be known as Skykit." He finished. Skykit squirmed around until she was set down. She did not know anything that was going on. Rainpaw flattened her ears but said nothing. Sablepaw was sitting very close to Bluepaw, then shared tongues with her. When he yelled 'Clan dismissed', Flameheart padded to Rivershine, and they shared tongues. She then walked into the nursery. Rainpaw did not know why, but hearing those names felt familiar, like StarClan was trying to tell her something.