Chapter Eleven

Rainpaw, who was sitting next to Blueleg, wrapping her in cobweb, couldn't help but have a feeling of dread by seeing how close her brother was with Heatherleaf. She had enough trouble worrying about foxes, but now about her brother? She did not know what to do. Blueleg seemed to feel no pain, she just sat mumbling on to herself. Rainpaw strained her ears and listened to what she said.

"Sableoak . . . Why can't you stay? Did you mean it? When you said . . . About Heatherleaf, you lied, didn't you?" She mumbled. Rainpaw wrinkled her nose, feeling even more anxious about her brother. Sableoak was a kind and noble warrior, ready to defend his Clan, but he always cared more about others than himself. That might've been good, but not in this case. Even if he had his heart set on Blueleg, he would want to make Heatherleaf happy as well. Rainpaw shook her head. She did not need to worry about him right now.

"How do you feel?" She asked. Blueleg shook her injured leg.

"Not bad. I think I'll be fine. Can I rest here for awhile?" She meowed. Rainpaw hesitated.

"Well, Clawstar and Sunsetstar are calling everyone to the clearing. I think they want everyone." She replied. She heard Blueleg scramble her paws and limp out to the two leaders. Rainpaw followed closely after, smelling her way. Rivershine cuddled close to her brother, Cowpelt.

"We are deciding to attack the foxes at once!" Yowled Clawstar. The she-cat's voice was so loud the twolegs on the other side of the forest must've heard her. She gave her chest a quick lick, calming down. She got more nervous when she heard her brother talking to Heatherleaf, and the soft whine of Blueleg behind her. Oh, why is this happening? She thought, what else can go wrong? She waited for the leaders to say more. 

"We are taking all of our strongest warriors. The elders, kits, and queens will stay hidden. Our medicine cats will be ready to heal." Sunsetstar added. "Everyone ready?" He asked. The warriors nodded. Rainpaw guessed he had already picked his strongest warriors.

Clawstar nodded. "Go!" She howled. The warriors bounded out into the forest and moorland. Foxes were everywhere! Rainpaw closed her eyes, even though it didn't do anything. Rivershine sat next to her, with Heatherleaf close behind. Screams broke out and Rainpaw could almost hear the death of cats coming. She crouched down, waiting desperately for the war to stop, when Rivershine yowled.

"Look out!" She screamed. A fox leaped onto Rainpaw's back. She turned around, smelling the fox, and leaped. She bit as hard as she could into his neck. The fox fell limp, and Rainpaw felt the gaze of the other medicine cats on her.

"How?" Heatherleaf asked, her mouth gaping. Rainpaw shook her head. She froze when she heard a deathly cry. Shinefall!