Chapter Seven

Sablepaw gazed around the clearing. Bluepaw was out hunting and Sparknose was sick. He looked at Shinefall as the deputy walked toward him. The she-cat's eyes glimmered as she meowed.

"You're coming with the border patrol since Sparknose is ill. Ok?" She growled. Sablepaw nodded. She led him to where Cowpelt, Amberfang, and Redstorm sat. They got up and padded out. Sablepaw felt nervous around these strong, powerful cats. His heart calmed when he saw Bluepaw walking toward them with Feildstripe close behind. He rushed to Bluepaw.

"Shinefall, can Bluepaw and Fieldstripe come?" He asked. Shinefall nodded.

"We'll split the patrol. Cowpelt, Amberfang, and Fieldstripe will patrol the ThunderClan border, and me, Bluepaw, Redstorm, and Sablepaw will patrol the ShadowClan border." She meowed. The cats split and walked away. Sablepaw stuck close to Bluepaw as the two apprentices rushed ahead. Their pelts brushed together as they raced through the heather.

"Where are you two going?" Growled Redstorm. The apprentices stopped simultaneously.

"Oh, we were just having fun . . ." Muttered Bluepaw.

"This is a patrol, and you two aren't kits." Redstorm hissed. "Unless you want to go back to the nursery."

"N-no!" Stammered Sablepaw. His fur bristled along his spine. Before Shinefall could start leading them again, they heard a scream pierce the air. Sablepaw recognized it immediately: it was his father's.

"Nohair!" Yelled Fieldstripe. He bounded toward the sound until he skirted across the edge to see Heatherpaw crouched over the limp sphynx's body.

"Father . . ." Started Sablepaw as he sat next to him. He must've been hunting when he collapsed at the ThunderClan border.

"I tried to help him . . ." Mewed Heatherpaw. Shinefall gave brushed her tail over Heatherpaw's flank comfortingly.

"We know. You are a noble and helpful apprentice, it's not your fault. Sablepaw needs time to grieve. WindClan thanks you." She meowed. Heatherpaw awkwardly bowed her head. Sablepaw crouched at Nohair's side.

"I wish I was here in his final moments." He mewed solemnly.

"What killed him?" That was Fieldstripe who asked. Heatherpaw hesitated.

"Well, I was just gathering herbs when I noticed a flash of bright red fur, then I saw him laying on the floor. I asked him but he was too stunned. Now that I think about it, whatever it was it was quick." She meowed. She sniffed the air. "I'm guessing it's a fox, because that's all I smell. That stupid stench."

"Foxes? In our territory?" Hissed Redstorm. "We need to tell Sunsetstar immediately."

***

Sablepaw had caught two voles and a plump woodland mouse on his way back. He grabbed a Starling and rested next to Bluepaw.

"I'm so sorry." She consoled him. "How did Rainpaw react?"

"Me, her, Firpelt, and Sunfur are sitting vigil tonight." He said. Sablepaw hoped his aunt, Sunfur, wouldn't be too sad. She had a special  bond with her brother, and wondered how long she would take to get better.

"He was a good warrior." Bluepaw said. Sablepaw nodded. How could it be worse?