Chapter Two

Rivershine carefully placed her herbs on the cleft in the rock of her clearing. She glanced around to see Sablekit rushing towards her. His face was filled with terror as he panted out, "help! Rainkit! Blood! Now!" Rivershine obeyed him immediately and rushed out to the clearing. She spotted the two hairless cats on the ground, one a small kit and the other a muscular warrior. Another gorgeous queen was vigorously grooming her kit.

"Rivershine!" The she-cat yelled. Rivershine rushed over to see the scene; Rainkit was on the ground, her eyes closed as two deep talon-marks rested upon her eyes. Her breath was quick and shallow. Rivershine rushed into her den and returned to the kit. She fed her a few poppy seeds after covering her slashes with cobwebs. Her heart pounded in her ear.

Fogstar rushed over to them, limping from his crippled hind leg, an injury from a vicious hound. His eyes widened. Looking at his medicine cat, he asked; "it seems to be bleeding a lot for a kit. Will she stay with us?" His deep voice rang. Rivershine glanced at the limp body and nodded. Fogstar sighed with relief and sat.

***

The wind blew into the medicine cat's den, though Rivershine did not feel cold. Her thick fur warmed her. Suddenly she worried about the black sphynx she-kit lying in her den. She rested her thick fur against her body and licked the kit, warming her. Rainkit lifted her head, her eyes wide to reveal two light blue pools of sadness. This poor kit is definitely blind, the young medicine cat thought. Her beautiful body felt cold at the thought of this kit's future.

"R-Rivershine?" Rainkit mumbled. Rivershine nodded. "Where are you?"

"Right here, dear." The kit followed the sweet voice until her head faced her direction.

"Am I . . ." She muttered. "Like Grassfur?"

Rivershine nodded. "Yes." The medicine cat felt the kit's heart race.

"But I'll never be an apprentice! Or warrior! I'll never battle or have kits or see my sister or . . ."

"But you will. You will be an excellent warrior, you will use your wits to defend you, and you will feel the love of your sister. All is not lost, my dear." The light gray tabby mewed. "Speaking of, Sablekit's apprentice ceremony is now."

The she-cat picked up the kit and padded in front of the Tallrock. Rainkit tried to look at her brother, but could only feel his presence.

"Sablekit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day, until you have earned your warrior name, you shall be known as Sablepaw, apprentice of WindClan." Fogstar announced. Sablepaw bounced with joy, then calmed and walked to his leader. "You will need a mentor. I have chosen a cat who is both skilled and free from duties to train this young apprentice." He gazed around the camp. "Sparknose, StarClan honors you for your agility and wisdom, and hope that you can pass it down to this young apprentice. Do you consent to mentor this cat?"

Sparknose nodded. "I do."

"Then you shall start your training today." He finished. Sablepaw rushed to his mentor and touched nose to nose. "Clan dismissed."

"I should be getting my apprentice name with him." Pouted Rainkit as she prodded a caterpillar with her paw. Rivershine sighed.

"Don't fret. You'll get one soon."