Chapter Fifteen

Sableoak was sharing tongues with Blueleg when Morningpaw bounded up to him, alongside Skypaw.

"Can we hunt? Please?" She begged. They continued on pleading. Blueleg had been acting weird this morning. She must've been keeping a secret from him. Sableoak was about to say yes when Blueleg pulled him to the side. Sableoak felt his heart beat with worry.

"Sableoak. . . ." The cat muttered, "I'm expecting kits!" Blueleg meowed, excitement flashing in her blue eyes. Sableoak froze. Before he could responded, Reedtail rushed over eagerly, Skelotonpaw close behind. Sableoak stared at Blueleg, happiness over flowing him. Reedtail purred and Sableoak guessed that he overheard Blueleg. Skelotonpaw growled, irritable as usual.

"Shinefall and Barkpaw are behind you." Reedtail meowed. Skypaw and Morningpaw whirled around and faced Barkpaw, claws sheathed. Before they pounced, Shinefall lolled his tongue and collapsed to the ground. Barkpaw spun around and crouched over his mentor. Sableoak rushed over and meowed urgently.

"Shinefall! Are you ok?" 

Shinefall gurgled out words. "Rivershine . . ." He muttered. Blueleg ran over to the medicine den and returned with the WindClan medicine she-cat. Rivershine leapt forward, Coltsfoot in her mouth. She rested her paw on the deputy's chest.

"He's having trouble breathing." She muttered. She opened Shinefall's jaws and made her swallow the herb. "It must be the wound from the foxes." She pointed to the long, deep scar on her throat. The deputy coughed out the herb and felt her heart slowing. By now, most of the Clan gathered around the dying Shinefall, and Sunsetstar shouldered her way to the she-cat. Shinefall muttered one last thing, and the cats strained to here.

"I'm sorry, I was never meant to be the deputy," She looked at Sableoak, "he was."

Rivershine bowed her head respectfully. "He's hunting with StarClan now." The gorgeous medicine cat meowed. Sunsetstar shook his head.

"Shinefall's closest companions may sit vigil tonight. Meanwhile, I shall choose a new deputy." Sunsetstar announced. He rushed in front of the Clan. He had no need to gather the Clan, for  they all ready sat with the leader. "I say these words before the body of Shinefall, so that her spirit may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of WindClan is Sableoak." He finished. Sableoak stared at his leader as he walked into the den. He whirled around to find his sister standing next to a RiverClan cat.

He growled. "Who is that?"