Chapter Eighteen

Rainwing followed after Tigerfoot, regret dragging at her paws. She never had known the powerful tabby, but felt her heart skip a beat the first time he talked to her. An alarm call from a sparrow made her stop in her tracks. She whirled around and smelt her brother close behind her.

"Rainwing! Where do you think you're going with him?" Sableoak hissed. Rainwing looked around frantically, then gulped, finishing her prey that Tigerfoot had caught in a few famished gulps. Before she could say more, Redstorm bounded up behind her brother. 

He curled up his lips in a silent snarl. "Well, Rainpaw. Didn't I say I'll be back?" He growled. Rainwing was too surprised to do anything. Tigerfoot pinned his ears, and Sableoak spun around.

"Redstorm!" We meowed, his mouth gaping. "We thought you died!" Redstorm unsheathed his claws and pounced on the young warrior. The screeching of cats filled Rainwing's ears. She pounced until fur and claws collided with her bare skin. She felt Tigerfoot's pelt brush against her's as she battled. Redstorm stopped fighting, a gleam of satisfaction and something else in his eyes.

"I'll be back." He hissed. Fear clenched Rainwing's heart.

Suddenly, Tigerfoot yowled in alarm, "Look, your brother! Sabeloak's been bit in the neck!" He meowed. Rainwing gasped and felt her brother's neck; sure enough the sticky red liquid clung to her paws, warm and wet. Sableoak lifted his head.

"Rainwing?" He muttered with a hoarse voice, "I know I'm not the right deputy for WindClan. But before I die, please, I need to ask you, will you go back to our Clan?" He rasped. An awkward silence filled the air when Rainwing finally nodded. "Okay. Tell Blueleg I love her. I know this is tough, sister, but do what's right. Goodbye, Rainwing. I'll see you eventually . . ." Rainwing panicked and touched his body. It was deathly cold.

"We need to go back to camp." She murmured, dazed. Shaking her head, she added to Tigerfoot, "will you help me carry his body?"