five - the capitol - flickerman

"all right let's go tributes" yells a peacekeeper as he pulls me away from my mentor.

he watches me as i get dragged away from him. all of the tributes get shoved into a truck. the truck almost immediately closes and starts driving. i look at the other tributes.

"whatcha looking at pretty?" teases a girl with short red hair.

"nothing in particular" i say.

"what, you think you're better than us?"

"not at all" i say with an annoyed tone. why would she even think that?

"i think otherwise"

"good thing no one asked for your opinion" i mumble under my breath.

"you wanna fight bitch?" she says standing up, "i'll kill you in that arena. you stand no chance. you know what? why don't we just kill you right now!" some of the other tributes stand up and laugh with her.

"then why don't you wait for the cameras? if you're going to kill me, wait until everyone can see" i say up in her face.

"great idea brat" she says narrowing her eyes but taking a step back.

the truck suddenly tilts sideways and the door opens. we all fall out onto a gravelly ground. we move aside from each other and i notice that there are a bunch more people in the same red uniform that snow was wearing. i assume that they are everyone else's mentors.

there are people with cameras all around as well. the other tributes find spots to sit or go over the the fence that is keeping us inside of the area we are in. some of the mentors talk to tributes. after a little while, most of the tributes are talking to a person around my age in the red uniform.

i sit on a rock and look at the white rose. the petals are soft and delicate. the thorns are cut off but where the thorns were, left a mark on the stem.

i watch as the others seem annoyed with the Capitols people. there are some young kids watching everyone near some of the cameras. i go up to the fence.

"hello" i say smiling at the kids on the other side.

"hi!" says a young boy.

"how old are you?"

"i'm seven. she's only four"

"well i think four is a great age to be. seven is also super cool"

they smile at my words, "i'm ophelia. nice to meet you"

"nice to meet you ophelia. this is blossom and i'm chandler"

i smile down at them, "and who do we have over here folks?" asks a man with a microphone.

"i'm ophelia from district nine" i say to him.

"well ophelia i see you have made some new friends"

i nod while smiling.

"where's your mentor?"

"oh he was here. he gave me this" i say holding up the rose.

"that is pretty isn't it?"

"yes it is"

"and remind me who is your mentor?"

"coriolanus snow"

"oh yes mr snow. well he's quite important in the Capitol. did you know he graduated on the top of his class?"

"i didn't know that but thank you for enlightening me" i say kindly.

"sadly this is all that time we have for now. have a good night everyone!" he says into the camera.