seven - the capitol - arena

i watch him being pulled away. the pain in his eyes so clearly showing. all night the scene from the day replays in my head. my nightmares, are the days events. so much happened in so little time.

i wake feeling grimy and tired. sleep seemed to not exist last night for me. i couldn't fall asleep, and when i did nightmares filled my head. then i would wake up again. it was a cycle.

when the sun was overhead many peacekeepers came and escorted us out of the fenced area. they brought us to the arena. from what i was told we are going to see what's inside and our mentor is supposed to help us make a plan.

the trucks stop and i get pulled to the ground by a peacekeeper. each tribute has a peacekeeper next to them as the mentors arrive. snow is the last to arrive. he stands next to me and then we all walk forward and through the entrance.

"enjoy the show!" says an automated voice as we pass through the entrance. i hear one of the tributes behind me scoff at the words.

to the Capitol it's all just a way to get people to watch their televisions. to make them remember that the Capitol had power. doesn't seem like a good place to have all of the power.

i continue walking forward and find a place in the middle of the large arena. the ground is gravel and the walls are tan. the walls have lights in them which slowly light up as the last tribute and mentor enters and finds a spot.

i listen to the others and can hear many plans combing. i look around myself and survey the area.

"so..."

"it's plain. there's not much here" he states plainly. i nod in agreement.

in an insanely short amount of time something goes off. the next thing i know is that i'm on the ground. my ears are ringing and everything is otherwise silent.

my instincts take over and i stand up and start to run. i see coriolanus running near me. other tributes run towards the entrance. sand and dirt cover my eyes but i keep running. something else must have happened.

after i ran quite far my hearing flickers back on. i hear screaming and fire crackling, in an unpleasant way. i look behind me and realize that coriolanus wasn't anywhere near me anymore.

something takes over me and i automatically run back where i was running from. i run in a panicked manor but i do run quick. i spot him stuck under a post which is on fire. i also notice that his back was starting to catch fire as well.

i kneel down next to the post and try to lift it. after my second try without getting it up, the tribute from two named marcus runs up to me.

"the gate is open!" he yells while trying to pull me with him.

i don't budge and after staring at me in confusion for a couple of seconds he gives up and tries to save himself. i watch as a couple others 
attempt to leave. peace keepers shoot and i see as their bodies hit the ground. dead. i watch the next body fall. i only then realize that the body belonged to panlo. he's dead. my last piece of home. dead. marcus some how escapes and gets out though.

i remember what i was doing and try to lift again. finally, on the third try i lift the post up just enough for him to slide out. he looks up at me with wide eyes.

"you came back" he gasps.

as i try to answer peacekeepers lift me up and drag me away. i struggle against them. their grasp holds tight and i can't get away. this time, he watches me get pulled away.