eleven - the Capitol + the arena - begin

the sun appears as we get pulled awake. they drag us out of our pen. in very little time we'll all be in that arena, fighting each other. killing each other.

my mind wanders. i feel helpless. i feel unwell. my stomach swirls in hunger and fear. no one can comfort me now. but it doesn't matter anyway. no one is here to try to help me. or any of us. we're spectacles, not survivors.

i let them drag me around. i'm like their puppet. some people fight it. some people just go along with it. some people look very ill. some look as if they don't care one bit about what is about to happen.

we get pushed into a truck. the door slams closed. the lock clicks and we all sit down silently. i look around and notice how most people are looking at the ground.

snow's house:

when the sun finally rises, i sit up. the night is long when you can't sleep. many things came into my head. i feared that if i slept i would have nightmares. not that i needed to worry about that though, since i never fell asleep in the first place.

i get up and dress in my uniform, "you ready?"

"not at all, tigris"

"im nervous for you."

"that makes me feel a lot better" i say in a sarcastic tone. almost mean.

"sorry, not trying to make it worse."

"it's fine"

"have a good day. or at least try to" she says as i finish tying my shoes up.

i nod and tell her a "goodbye".

i arrive at the building and enter. i walk down the long simple-looking corridors. once i find the correct room i enter into the large open space with a large screen, many seats, and desks with computers on them. the room is filled with many other people.

"morning coriolanus" says sejanus.

"morning" flickerman is doing his intro to the Games in an excited tone. it bothers me how excited he is.

after he finishes, the screens light up with each tributes picture. it will stay lit up based on if they are living or if they have died. i notice ophelia's picture and almost lose it.

i find my desk and computer and sit. my leg bounces and my head spins. this girl is going to be the end of me.

the arena:

the truck unlocks and opens. we get escorted out of the truck to the outside of the arena. we don't go in, but we stand at the entrance. i can see into the arena which is what makes me feel as though i can not breathe.

once the peacekeepers get the word they bring us inside. "enjoy the show!" projects through the speakers as every single person goes through the entrance.

each tribute has a red circle with a number on it that we must stand on. if we step off early, the peacekeeper that is behind each of us will shoot. i look beside me and notice the others. a couple people look as if they are about to pass out. coral has an evil grin spread across her face.

i look into the center of the arena and notice the many weapons that lie there. i think back to what coriolanus had said last night, "when the bell rings run away from the middle, alright? don't go towards the weapons. there is a hole in the ground that leads to tunnels and rooms underground. get into that and hide. that can keep you alive for a while."

i shouldn't go to middle. that means i can not get anything to defend myself with. i look at the ground around where i am. i don't notice a hole in the ground which means it's on the other half of the arena.

i need to somehow get to the opposite side of the arena with no weapon, without getting killed by the armed killers. great.

i look up to see the damage from the rebel bombing and only then i notice. the boy, marcus that had escaped yesterday is tied to the beam by his wrists. he's hanging in the air, covered in blood.

the bell rings, and pulls me out of my thoughts.