six - the capitol - dead

tribute zoo:

i watch the horizon as the sun sets. the sky has become a beautiful pinkish orange and it shines over everything. the rock has become a bit painful against my back, but i deal with it because it's better than nothing.

after a few minutes darkness overtakes.

snow's house:

"hey coriol. how was it?" asks tigris.

"not as bad as i would have expected"

"that's good. i saw ophelia on the television earlier. flickerman gave her a little interview"

"what'd she say?"

"she just said some things about you and some kids she was talking to. oh and the rose you gave her."

"what about me?"

"he said how you were the top of your class and how you're probably going to be a good mentor"

"oh. alright"

"what's wrong?"

"nothing."

"okay then"

i get changed and get into my bed. the day had been exhausting. knowing that the next couple days would be even more exhausting made me want to never get out of bed.

as of right now i have no clue what her odds are. she's all i can think about. it feels as though i have control over her living and her dying. but what if i cant save her? it would be all my fault.

tribute zoo:

the sun shines in the distance and my eyes slowly open. some of the other tributes are already awake. i sit there watching everyone and listening to other people talking.

not to long after, mentors start to show up. i watch a girl with long messy hair and a hat on getting teased buy her mentor.

i look over and notice that coriolanus is walking towards the fence. i stand up and walk towards the spot he has planted himself at.

"here i brought this for you" he says handing me something wrapped in a blue fabric.

i unwrap it and find half a sandwich and two cookies inside. i look up at him, "thank you"

"no problem"

i pick up the sandwich and take a big bite. as i'm eating it i notice he looks hungry and how he is eying one of cookies.

i pick up the cookie and hand it to him.

"thank you" he mumbles.

"hunger is a weapon"

"it is, isn't it?"

"yesterday after i got pulled away, we all went into this truck and the tribute over there," i point to the girl with short red hair, "she was going to kill me yesterday and she was going to have multiple of the others help her. i got her to not attack me, but she's going to go for me when we get in the arena"

"what'd you do for her to want to kill you?"

"i looked at her for barely even a second"

"great. i think her name is coral by the way"

"how am i supposed to last 20 minutes when half the tributes already want to kill me?"

"i'm going to help you figure it out. tomorrow when we get to see the arena, we'll figure that out. okay?"

"yeah, okay," i pause, "i have no chance of winning, do i?"

"you have a chance. it's not the highest. but it's also not the lowest"

a loud scream comes from the other end of the fence. we look over and see the girl that was getting teased. she finally grabbed the bottle. but instead of drinking it's contents, she broke the bottle and used it to kill the mentor. she was laying on the ground suffocating.

coriolanus runs over to the girl, "help! help her!"

the peacekeepers shoot the tribute and she falls to the ground. dead. the mentor that was laying on the ground? dead.

"no! why would you shoot?!" he yells. the peacekeepers pull him off of the girl's body and drags him away.