nine - the capitol - interviews

we stand in line for at least another twenty minutes before the district one girl goes onto the stage. there's a small television screen in the hallway that we can see the stage on. i watch all the people who were in line in front of me have their interview.

the boy from eight goes up and onto the stage and that's when i realize i'm next. i still have no clue what to do, but it seems like flickerman initiates the conversations.

"alright thank you! that was district eight, everybody!"

the boy enters the hallway again. my head snaps up as i hear my name announced.

"and next we have someone who some of you have seen on television before. miss ophelia from district nine!"

i slowly make my way up and onto the stage like all the tributes before me. i walk over to stand next to him.

"how are you today?"

"i'm pretty good. how are you?" i say with a slight shake in my voice.

"quite great, actually. thank you for asking. but, i think we all think this when we see you. you're such a pretty, young girl. is there a special boy at home?"

"well mr flickerman, there is not" i try my hardest to have a charismatic persona. if that's what'll  give me higher odds, i'll do it.

"why, that is hard to believe."

"maybe if i win, the boys will fall over me!" i say fake giggling.

"oh they definitely would."

"oh i almost forgot, how's the weather doing in my district?" i jokingly ask.

"i was waiting for someone to ask! let's see, in district nine it is partly cloudy. decent temperature. not to hot, not cold."

"well that is good. thank you for informing me" i smile at the audience.

hospital:

my eyes slowly open. the lights of the hospital room are dimmed but still bright if you were just sleeping. the first thing i notice is Tigris who is sitting in a chair near the bed i'm laying in.

"you're awake!"

"what happened?"

"it was a rebel bombing. they must have been planning it for a while. you're okay though"

"what about ophelia?"

"she's quite healthy. in fact she should be having interview right around now."

"they're still having the Games?!" i ask in disbelief.

"of course they are" she answers. her smile dropping in the corners.

she reaches for a remote and turns on the television. as the screen lights up, i recognize flickerman waving off the boy from district eight.

"good timing. she should be next" says tigris.

i sit up as she walks onto the stage. tigris tries to push me back down lightly. i shake her hands off and go to stand up.

"coriol..."

"i'm fine, tigris" i walk up to the screen and turn up the volume.

"i'm pretty good. how are you?" her voice sounds nervous. she looks quite beautiful.

"quite great, actually. thank you for asking. but, i think we all think this when we see you. you're such a pretty, young girl. is there a special boy at home?" flickerman asks for his first question.

i wait patiently for her answer, for i realize i've never thought about that.

"well mr flickerman, there is not" she says. so far she is getting a great amount of donations. she seems like she is getting the hang of being up there. she's a natural.

her answer appalls him as well as tigris, "she is pretty isn't she? and she seems quite nice and caring as well."

"she is" something comes over me. i defend her without meaning to.

"maybe if i win, the boys will fall over me!" her giggle is adorable and my heart feels something it barely ever feels. i cant let her lose this. she can't die.