Chapter 10

I took Andrew out in the porch. We sat on the steps with his head on my lap. It was cold out there, so I lent him Spencer's jacket since Andrew wasn't wearing his own. We both drank hot chocolate to keep the chill away and to let the warmth of it rush inside us. It had been an hour now, silence was surrounding us, stars were twinkling brightly in the black sky.

To be honest, I was extremely astonished when I saw Andrew at my door. His brown eyes were swollen, dark circles were placed underneath them, red nose and a worried look on his face. We both stood still in the same position, hugging each other tightly, for five minutes at the minimum. Sobbing, both of us.

Why me?

Trust me, I still have no idea. Maybe because I was glad to see him after all?

I rubbed his back a lot number of times. Trying to calm him down was what I had the intensions of, but it made him cry more. He burried his face in the crook of my neck and his tears were making it wet. He was cold and he was upset.

Standing for a long time now, he pulled himself back and got a tight grip of my hands. I kept on rubbing the back of his hands with my thumbs. "It's okay," I whispered. I turned around to move inside my room but he stopped me.

"Let's sit outside," his voice cracked. I returned him a smile and first grabbing a warm shrug, I brought him downstairs. Before stepping outside I gave him Spencer's jacket, which at first he refused to take. But then I forced him and made him wear it on my own. I prepared two hot chocolates, very quietly, making sure not to wake my parents up, and we went out.

We sat on steps quietly for a little while, and then I asked him,"Where have you been?"

He didn't answer.

"All day, Andrew. Where were you?"

Still no reply.

"Emma...," he breathed out. I put my finger under his chin and turned his head so he could face me. He was avoiding any eye contact with me. I held his head up and then I noticed his bloodshot eyes. The moonlight was falling on his face and making him look ever more handsome. He was crying, I know. But he looked like that no matter whatever the situation was.

I put my mug down beside me and cupped his face with both my hands. "I've been worried all day. You weren't picking your cell up. I tried messaging you but there was no answer. What have you been up to? Are...are you not...sure about us? About what happened on my birthday?"

I didn't want to bring that topic up but if that was the problem with him, then it had to be soughted out. "You can tell me, Andrew," I assured him.

He heaved a heavy sigh. Turning a little to face the gate, he spoke up. "My grandmother, she...she passed away."

That was it. Six words and tears started streaming down his face again.

It's actually very horrible when a member of your family passes away. I was in like, a complete isolation when my grandfather died. It is hard for every person. You've been living with them for years and then suddenly, they stop breathing. They're gone.

We quietly sat there and I put my hand on Andrew's shoulder, calming him down. He told me how close he was to his grandma. Maybe closer than he is with his mother. He remembered those days when he used to come back from school, his grandma would have always made his favourite chocolate pancakes for him. And when he didn't feel like going to school, he would run to her room and hide himself under her blanket. He would tell her everything about himself.

All this time, Andrew had a smile on his face. Looking like a five year old child, he was. Extremely adorable. He slowly looked at the sky, as if trying to refresh all his memories with her. And very slowly he whispered,"I love you, gran."