CH 5 (1)

The Element of the Unknown

Ironclad

Sleeping on a hospital bed didn't have the same charm as laying over a towel, shaded by palm trees, sipping on a pineapple drink from a coconut shell- that pineapple drink, there was nothing like it.

Ironclad had to go back. He sat up, every muscle in his body protesting. Dr. Len had left him a while ago, saying something about further exams, but Ironclad knew that none of this pain was real.

That poor girl. Dr. Bolt really did a number on her. It was time to break the illusions and save the world again.

He didn't have to wander the halls for too long before finding Dr. Bolt. Dr. Bolt had his face and hands pressed against a vending machine. He was mumbling to himself. "Processed, processed, processed. Why? You're a hospital, shouldn't you care about my health."

"Dr. Dolt!" Ironclad called.

Dr. Bolt spun. Ironclad flicked his cape- Damn this gown. It made him feel ridiculous. He carefully controlled his posture, making sure that he was still radiating with confidence despite that awkward gown flip. Cape or no cape I'm still Ironclad, the undefeated hero. As he walked closer, the confidence in his demeanor became natural, effortless.

"Your obsession with me is getting out of hand." Ironclad said. "Don't you think it's time to stop?" With that said, Ironclad ignored the pain in his ribs and charged.

Dr. Bolt grinned. He slid back to avoid the hit and tapped his boots, activating the jets. They elevated him into the air. He placed his hands into a defensive stance. "You shouldn't hide your fear, Ironclad. It contradicts the image of wisdom and honesty heroes are supposed to uphold." he said.

A blue light made Ironclad hesitate, but he realized it was from the gloves Dr. Bolt usually used to fight, not the strange toy gun from before.

"I assure you, your endless failures do not aspire fear." They charged at each other with a warrior's yell, Ironclad with his fist pulled back and Dr. Bolt with his charged glove aimed towards him.

An ear-piercing high pitch sound filled the hallway. Dr. Bolt's sonic weapon! They both ran for coverage. Ironclad covered his ears and knelt to the floor. Before he could close his eyes, he noticed a familiar face. It was the nurse from before and she was shrieking.

He glanced at Dr. Bolt's belt. The sonic weapon was tucked away, untouched.

Ironclad reached out to shield her, but he wasn't fast enough. Dr. Bolt swooped to the ground and snatched the girl. He landed behind Ironclad, forcing him to spin. He was holding the girl to his chest while keeping the beam from his glove raised towards Ironclad. "Failure is a step closer to success." Dr. Bolt said. "you shouldn't-"

"Oh my gosh it even glows!"

"What? Hey, what are you- hey!"

The nurse stepped forward and freed the glove from Dr. Bolt's hand. She gazed at it in awe and put it on.

"Hey!" Dr. Bolt called, reaching out for the glove.

The nurse pivoted towards Dr. Bolt. The movement placed the beam towards Dr. Bolt. He haltered.

"I'm so sorry!" She squealed. "I didn't mean to interrupt the skit. It's just that they look so cool! Where did you get them? They're amazing." She reached into her pocket. "Can we take a picture? You look just like him!" '

"I uh-" Dr. Bolt stammered, as she strode closer to him. He stepped back but his back hit a wall.

"Oh! And can you grab me like before? That was really hot!" She positioned herself against his chest and raised her phone to take a picture.

"Ah, wait uh-" Dr. Bolt stammered as the nurse grabbed his hand and positioned it around her waist. She smiled up at the camera and took the picture. "There!" she spun back to Dr. Bolt. "Thank you so much." She beamed at him while placing her free hand on his arm.

"Uh.." He strained his neck back, looking extremely uncomfortable.

"Then that means you're supposed to be Ironclad?" Another voice asked.

Ironclad blinked. Dr. Bolt and the nurse turned their attention to him. Ironclad looked down and saw that Dr. Len had been watching the scene with him. He felt.... strange. It was as if he were a spectator looking into a strange dream. Being suddenly dragged into it made the sensation worse. "What?" he asked,

The nurse gasped. "You're right! I didn't notice because of his face but he does look like him. Let's take a picture with him!"

A small part of Ironclad began to relax. Finally, something normal.

"I thought you said he was yesterday's overrated crud." Dr. Len pondered. Overrated what now?

The nurse laughed. "Yea, but this is meant to be ironic, right?" She winked at Ironclad.

What? Ironclad hesitantly smiled as she took the picture.

"Well, now that that's sorted out," the doctor opened a notebook and flipped through the pages. "I'm glad to see that you don't have severe brain damage. You had me worried there but please, don't do something like that again. I respect your dedication to the arts, however, I would appreciate it if you reserved it for more appropriate settings." She gave him a serious look. "You really were injured. You can leave now but you will need to come back in a month to have your stitches removed. Cecile, can you give him his bags?"

"Right!" The nurse grabbed two bags that she had dropped and handed them to him. "One is your personal belongings and the other, your care bag." She explained.

"We'll see you in a month from now then." Dr. Len said before nodding at him and turning to leave. The nurse followed behind but not before sneaking a final peak towards Dr. Bolt, who was still plastered against the wall. He flinched when their eyes met. She giggled before turning.

Neither of them moved as they watched the two retreat.

Then, Ironclad and Dr. Bolt jolted towards each other, meeting in the middle.

"You need to fix this!" Ironclad demanded at the same time as Dr. Bolt moaned out, "We need to fix this!"

"What?" Ironclad grabbed Dr. Bolt by his hair and shoved him against the vending machine. "What do you mean by "we need to fix this?" You need to fix this. Overrated," he grimaced. "They called me overrated." He pulled Dr. Bolt from the vending machine just so he could smack him into it again. "What did you do?"