i . . . misty memories

🏹 | CASTLES CRUMBLING ₊˚ପ⊹

. ‧₊˚⋅🗝️  a c t  o n e ━━━━━━ titan's curse
chapter one . . . misty memories

WINTER BREAK MEANT GOODBYE WERE THE DAYS of spending six hours of her day in a dreary excuse of a class room and instead, hanging out with her friends and having fun.

Making Christmas cookies, going sledding, a nice hallmark movie with hot cocoa... all on her winter holiday to-do-list. Things she unfortunately wouldn't get to do this year.

After waking up at 3 am that chilling winter morning to a ruckus down stairs, Estella came down in her pyjama set to see her mom trying to find a broom to clean up broken glass on the wooden floor.

Her mom has always been struggling with her addiction. It's only gotten worse since the worsening of her stress and anxiety.

Though her mother would never tell, Estella knew the root of her problem was her sickness, a curse from the gods.

When Estella made it to the kitchen, her mother stood over the island counter with the broom leaning against it. Her mom stood with her elbows on the counter top and her hands in her hair.

"Mom—"

"Estella, please leave." Her mother spoke softly, not looking at her worried daughter.

"Mo—"

"Please!" She spoke louder, almost in a yell. Estella flinched but her eyes welled up with tears. Her mom gave took a deep sigh. "You need to get back to camp half-blood." Her tone was back to its soft self.

Camp half-blood. She thought she had left that in the past. The only connection she had to that place was Luke. Her childhood friend. They used to be neighbours before Estella's mother moved away and Estella stayed at camp.

She got letters from him at least once a month.

He meant a lot to her. She'd do anything for him. But this wasn't him. It about her mom.

"What about you?" Estella whispered.

"I'm—I'm going into rehabilitation. But I'll be fine. Don't worry about me." Estella still had a worried and anxious look on her face. "You'll be safer at camp, I packed your bags, I'll tell your friends that you move back to live with your biological father. Just please go." Her mom continued to rant.

There was a ring at the door. It was as if everything happened in the blink of an eye because the next thing Estella was going from New Jersey to New York.