xi . . . mission failed. better luck next time

🏹 | CASTLES CRUMBLING ₊˚ପ⊹

. ‧₊˚⋅🗝️  a c t  t w o ━━━━━━ battle of the labyrinth
chapter eleven . . . mission failed. better luck next time

DOING AN EXTRACTION WAS THE LAST THING Estella wanted to do that day. She had to go to the movies with Percy later that day.

Speaking of Percy. The two had kept contact although through letters and sometimes Iris Messages but today would be the first time they'd see each other since winter.

The extraction was at Goode High School. A satyr, Cedar, had his eyes on a half blood named West Reyes. Cedar suspected West was the son of some minor god. They first met at West's old school and just like any other demigod, he got kicked out and was now moving on to the next one.

Cedar, Estella, Jade and James were tasked with this extraction. They were supposed to sneak in to the orientation and get the boy out.

This is was the reason why Estella and Jade were heading towards the side entrance of Goode High School. At the door two cheerleaders stood with smiles. Or at least they wanted you to believe they were cheerleaders.

The two teens got away from them fine enough but Estella had a suspicion that this wasn't the last time they'd run into the two cheerleaders.

Jade and Estella followed a crowd of students, trying to find James as they tried to fit into the crowd. The found James and Cedar when they sat down on the bleachers. West was with them.

A marching band played an out-of-tune fight song that sounded like somebody hitting a bag of cats with a metal baseball bat. Older kids, probably student council members, stood up front modeling the Goode school uniform and looking all, Hey, we're cool. Teachers milled around, smiling and shaking hands with students. The walls of the gym were plastered with big purpleand-white banners that said WELCOME FUTURE FRESHMEN, GOODE IS GOOD, WE'RE ALL FAMILY, and a bunch of other happy slogans made Jade want to throw up which humoured Estella.

None of the freshmen looked thrilled to be there. Coming to orientation in June, when school doesn't even start until September, is not cool. But at Goode, "We prepare to excel early!" At least that's what the brochure said.

The marching band stopped playing. A guy in a pinstripe suit came to the microphone and started talking, but the sound echoed around the gym so Estella had no idea what he was saying. He might've been gargling for all she knew.

"Hi, guys!" a girl then bubbled into the microphone. It was the blonde Estella'd seen at the entrance. "My name is Tammi, and this is like, Kelli. " Kelli did a cartwheel.

The look on West's face change to one of boredom to one of fear and confusion. One of the worst mix of emotions.

"Guys." Cedar said. "I think we gotta run." He spoke in a whisper. Jade, who was on the edge, was first to leave and the other filed out of the gymnasium.