xiv . . . a delayed decision

🏹 | CASTLES CRUMBLING ₊˚ପ⊹

. ‧₊˚⋅🗝️ a c t t w o  ━━━━━━  battle of the labyrinth
chapter fourteen  .  .  .  a delayed decision

ESTELLA FELT A BIT BETTER THAT MORNING. She woke up just after dawn and the quest group met at Zeus's Fist. Her half-sister, Briar, helped her pack her bag—thermos with nectar, bag of ambrosia, bedroll, rope, clothes, lots of extra arrows and a few snacks just in case.

It was a clear morning. The fog had burned off and the sky was blue. Campers would be having their lessons today, flying pegasi and practicing archery and scaling the lava wall. Meanwhile, the quest members would be heading underground.

Juniper and Grover stood apart from the group. Juniper had been crying again, but she was trying to keep it together for Grover's sake. She kept fussing with his clothes, straightening his rasta cap and brushing goat fur off his shirt. Since we had no idea what we would encounter, he was dressed as a human, with the cap to hide his horns, and jeans, fake feet, and sneakers to hide his goat legs.

Chiron, Quintus, and Mrs. O'Leary stood with the other campers who'd come to wish us well, but there was too much activity for it to feel like a happy send-off. A couple of tents had been set up by the rocks for guard duty. Beckendorf and his siblings were working on a line of defensive spikes and trenches. Chiron had decided we needed to guard the Labyrinth exit at all times, just in case.

Annabeth was doing one last check on Estella's supply pack. When Tyson and Percy came over, the two girl frowned and shared looks as they always did. "Percy, you look terrible."

"He killed the water fountain last night," Tyson confided.

"What?" Annabeth asked.

Before he could explain, Chiron trotted over. "Well, it appears you are ready!"

He tried to sound upbeat, but Estella could tell he was anxious.

"Hey, uh, Chiron, can I ask you a favor while I'm gone?" Percy said out of the blue.

"Of course, my boy. "

"Be right back, guys. " Percy nodded toward the woods. Chiron asked an eyebrow, but he followed him out of earshot.

Annabeth gave Estella a look that meant 'what's going on?' in which Estella just shrugged.

The two girls trudged over, curious to why they were taking so long.

"Percy, you ready?" Annabeth asked him with a rushed tone.

He nodded. Estella looked over and saw Quintus watching Percy carefully. He raised his hand in farewell.

"Take care," Chiron told the half-bloods. "And good hunting. "

"You too," Percy said.

They walked over to the rocks, where Tyson and Grover were waiting. Estella stared at the crack between the boulders—the entrance that was about to swallow them.